Whats going on here

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What is going on here? The main is a 60 amp breaker and the heater is a 100 amp breaker.

![](upload://ciPr50oDie9iYjaDxyXe60I62sz.jpeg)

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: bking

main not at the top ? labels backwards? If correct label make sure that 100A C/B has the correct size wire. I doubt that the “heater” draws more than 60amps, if it does it should just trip the “main”

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

The 60 is the main. Here is the guts.

Foxe Smothers

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Peter…

It's a split bus panel. The "main" is just feeding all the smaller breakers below. The service disconnect is the main and everything above it. In other words there is no single main breaker.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Ahh. Have not seen one of these in person yet but once would said split bus it all came back to me. Thanks!

Foxe Smothers

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Peter, it is also a sylvania, made after they bought Zinsco out, so expect other problems with arcing breakers against the busses.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Thanks Gerry. I did pick up on the Zinsco origins when I inspected it. I temp’ed all the breakers and wires with my ir temp gun and nothing was out of the ordinary. There were no signs of overheating, arching etc. that one would except to find. Found some double taps, to much wire sheathing in the box on a few wires, and a stranded neutral that had a few strands bent back to make it fix under a lug.

Foxe Smothers

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: rmoore

The biggest No-No would be the size of the double-tapped conductors on the top 100-amp breaker. They don’t apppear to be much more than #6.

With all the double-taps, and if all the circuits are in use, then the panel is inadequate, which makes it an easy "replace" or "upgrade" call on this "Zinsco-by-any-other-name".

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: bbadger

This panel has no single ‘main’

Yes this is a split bus panel and it looks from the picture to be a 200 amp upper section served with 200 amp aluminum service conductors.

The breaker labeled 'main' is only the service disconnect for the lower bus section and the branch circuit breakers below it.

The power from the utility comes in on the large service conductors that connect directly to the upper bus of the panel.

Then we have a total of 5 service disconnects connected to that upper bus.

1) Heater

2) Oven

3) Air Con

4) Dryer

5) The one labeled 'Main'

In order to kill all the power to the house all 5 of these service disconnects will have to be opened (off)

The only way to put a total rating size on this service is to verify the rating of the service conductors, upper bus section of the panel and the meter socket.

The rating is not the total of the 5 service disconnects.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Sorry Richard I answered before reading the whole thread, I now see you had it all covered. icon_redface.gif

Bob Badger

Electrical Construction & Maintenance

Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

No way! Don’t icon_redface.gif , I learn a lot from full explanations ! Thank you Mr. Badger

Thank you, MarkTimpani

www.pridepropertyinspections.com

Originally Posted By: tallen

Bob Badger and Joe Tedescoe

Are the best thing that ever happened to our electrical forum.

Thanks guys ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

There are others I did not mention as I am name stupid, but thank you too.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

Peter,

I would not put too much stock in the results of you IR temp gun analysis of the panel. There would only be arcing at a given circuit if there is juice running through it, and if your inspections are like most of mine, there generally isn't much load on the electrical branch circuits during the inspection. I have seen Zinsco panels that looked completely normal, but when the breakers were removed, there was significant arcing on MOST of the breaker contacts on the bus bars.

Paul

Thanks Guys!

Foxe Smothers

- Ralph Waldo Emerson