What's the ideal vehicle?

Steve:

If you ever run into an agent by the name of Pete Lacey say Hi for me.

He and I worked together in another life.

Cheers

Exactly the same for me! I drive a bright yellow Ford Focus (which I never lose in a crowded parking lot), and with the left rear seat down I can easily fit my 17’ “Little Giant Knock-off”. And with the price of gas these days I don’t complain about the 40mpg.

IMG_4379 (Small).JPG

Great deal on the ladder BTW!! I compared it directly with the LG (I bought mine from Canadian Tire), and they are virtually identical… except for the price. The LG was close to $400 amd mine was $175. It’s the perfect Home Inspection ladder. It’s small and maneuverable, so easy to cart around inside a house, and I’ve found that extending to 17’ is enough. I’ve never found a roof that I COULD have climbed on if I would have had a 21+ foot extension ladder, that I haven’t nbeen able to get on with mine. If the front of the house it too tall I can usually find a second-story deck in the back to work off of.

But alas… my daughter is 16 and soon I will be parting with my car and giving it to her. When I’ve done that I may consider something a little larger - only because I drive my kids to school every morning and I’d like to try and avoid having to take out and put back my ladder every morning.

So… I’m considering the Honda Element. It kinda looks like a loaf of bread with wheels, but I like that. It’s kind of funky, reliable, gets reasonable mileage, has a ton of room, and with the big rectangular windows would accept signage quite nicely.

Another vehicle I may consider is the Ford Sport-Trak. Mid-sized 4-door pickup with a 5’. lockable box. I could lock my equiptment away and leave it in the back, and still have lots of cab room for the kids - my 14 year old is taller than me now, and I’m 6’ 2".

Ahh… decisions, decisions…

That’s a great looking truck!!! Very nice website too!

Joe, let me guess Nanci drives the truck and you drive the corvette, right?

I drive a 2006 Honda Ridgeline Truck, 4 door truck with a TRUNK in the bed that is invisible unless you open the tailgate, which swings sideways as well as down. It is a perfect truck because I can keep my tools locked in the trunk and the little giant ladder in the bed.

How can you sleep at night with a ladder in your bed? :wink: :slight_smile:

Will do. It seems like we all have had different lives before HI. It seems a common theme. I guess HI are created and raised not born into it:roll:

Steven

Stephen,
You will get calls from everywhere, today I went to Parry Island!
Then came back and did one in Barrie.
And speaking of Barrie, did you get you licence for the city?
Guess what town is next? Wasaga Beach is addressing licences for HI in the next council meeting.
And my ride is…

suv 009.jpg

2001 Chevy Silverado Z-71

P2230003 (Small).JPG

I personally liked the Corvette picture but just how did you get the ladder in there ???

I’ve got a 91 GMC Safari van , dark tinted windows so no-one can see inside colour , white with red stripping.
I am thinking of magnetic sign’s for lettering.
What’ everyone’s thoughts on magnetic signage?

This is the latest addition.

No logos yet…

Because of all the “stuff” I need to carry, so I don’t get caught on the backside of nowhere without, besides what I pack into a house, I drive a 2000 white 4x4 chevy suburban. Lettered up. ( I’d show it if I could figure out the photo posting thing) Dosen’t show dirt untill it’s almost too late. Pick up the kids-and their friends. Pack a cooler of water and gatorade. Everything enclosed is what I like. Factory luggage racks with Yakima adapters for my extension ladder. 17mpg on the highway. Change the oil. Lasts forever.
Stu

Having to take my kids to school every morning, I can appreciate the versatility… but 17mpg! You must have shares in Petro Can!:wink:

The most economical I had was a Chevy Tracker. 4-WD. Fantastic on gas. Used a little giant ladder, that sat in the back - all nicely fitting with the tool bag, etc.

I have now graduated to a Jeep G.C.

I started with a Jeep Cherokee…

Moved on to Minivans…

At the end of the day it comes down to how much you have saved and how much you have spent to operate your business. We drive a lot, consume gas, why do you need to drive a pick-up like an F-150 when you can drive a mazda 3. I can fold down my back seats an fit 2-4 little giant ladder systems back there. Those big RAMS and F-150’s are nice but not for a ladder and a tool bag. I can get 600-700 km on the highway per tank or 400 km in the city. At the cost of gas these days . . . This is just my thought.

Steve

The guy I met for an inspection a couple of weeks ago seemed to think that this was the ideal vehicle …unfortunately, I had no idea about our ‘ride’. All I knew was that I had to meet the homeowner in a parking lot beside the highway.
I know what you’re wondering…where did they put the ladder…don’t even ask.

New Bonne Bay Road 002.JPG

Lard tunderin jay sus! :slight_smile:

I am tying a 40 foot extension ladder on top and lettering this baby up and coming in like this… do not say you never noticed my arrival.:mrgreen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck

Don’t laugh I know one inspector who drives a compact and his extension ladder extends well out beyond the car front and back. So much so he should have warning flags on both ends or flashing lights on the ends. I don’t know what would happen in the event of a quick stop. An accident waiting to happen.