What's wrong with municipal code inspections?

Brian needs to stop smoking big blunts before trying to make any sense trying to decipher between racial and ethic comments

No, you don’t have it. One more time for the learning impaired.

Some code inspectors are taking bribes and selling drugs, based upon that article. OK so far?

Some code inspectors in Chicago have also been known to, and many have been convicted, of taking bribes (I have no knowledge of drug dealing). I have actuallt seen, with my own eyes, Chicago code inspectors soliciting and taking bribes. I, myself, when I owned rental property, had city code inspectors solicit bribes from me. With me so far?

My third point was that, in Chicago, the political machine is heavily supported by the unions (let’s leave out other factors that seem to distract you). The unions also, pretty much, run the Building Dept (thus, the 17 year old nephew of the Carpenter’s Union president who worked for (I believe it was) 13 months as a code inspector for the city.

Finally, the mob and the Unions have a long history of interaction, in Chicago. The mob also has a long history of interaction with the City government (see the Trucking Scandal, of a few years ago).

Mayor Richard J Daley grew up, and started his political career, from within the Irish “Athletic Club” network. These so-called “Athletic clubs” wer also known to have been involved in what would now be called “street gang” activity *protection rackets, gang fights with gangs of other nationalities, etc) and went “Legit” when they got into politics. The Chicago political machine is greatly supported by the Unions and the Mob.

As such, many of the code inspectors (and by no means all, I should say) are mob and union affiliated and do not always do their job in a professional manner. Many solicit and take bribes. Many do “drive-by” code inspections. I even know of a few who moonlight as home inspectors, when they are not state licensed.

Above all, they “miss” many common defects. As such, when I do a home inspection on a new or heavily remodeled (rehabbed) property, I have to explain why “the code guy didn’t find it” and this means explaining to them how the code inspection process, in Chicago, really goes.

In the final analysis, state case law and court decisions have ruled that code inspectors, in Illinois, have absolutely no liability if they miss defects or even if people get killed (as they did, not too long ago, in those porch collapse incidents). We just, about a month ago, had a porch railing collapse and two little girls were killed (fell, 3 stories). The porch had recently been replaced and it the work was “inspected” by the city and no red flags were issued. But, the only legal recourse for the parents of these girls were to sue the contractor who worked on the porch. They could not sue the city.

My point is that everyone believes that city code inspections (at least in Chicago) are some type of guarentee of good quality and workmanship. This belief is simply not true. And it is not true because of the politics of this city and the corruption that is injected by the mob and union influence.

Are we FINALLY clear on this?

I don’t know why I argue with you on this. I live here and know what goes on, and it has been going on for many years. Sorry of these facts hurt your feelings, but they are still, nonetheless, facts.

Deal with it.

Ahhhhhhhh, they are the same…and furthermore bazzo, I do not smoke weed and for you to say that here in public is just crap. A hole.

Since my crusade against Political BS here I have booked another ten ten inspections.

Will for the life of me, i do not understand either why it is when you tell your clients how smart you are they do not believe you???

I am clear on that part.

A clue, Brian. Blunts are not marijuana. They are either a) small fruit flavored cigars or b) cigar butts thrown into the gutter.

This venacular is, mainly, used by African-Americans of low economic status, at least in this area.

In your area, this may very.

Hope this helps;

But, it would seem, not on many others. You cannot answer my response, so you resort to the typical Sol Olinsky tactic of minimalization, as homonim argument and pretendeding to be the smartest guy in the room.

An argument is when two rational people try to find the truth. Since that is not you intent, I refuse to go any further with you. Have fun with your self-stimulation. I leave this thread for those who desire to seriously discuss the original topic, from now on.

We are through with you.

You may leave, now.

Will, type blunts into google and check out the first couple of entries… Someone, besides me, has been jerking your chain

Brian seems to use Google as his primary source.

Silly, ain’t he? :mrgreen:

Brian;

Type “idiot” into Google.

Here is the leading, #1 reference source.

Please note that the first 5 “simple” definitions refer to movies,

The next 4 references are from musical sources.

The first and only relevent citation is to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot_(person)

Look under the surface. Get beyond your mere feelings and use rationality.

Now, can we finally get back to the original topic?

Hope this helps;

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Just for giggles…understand that some Municipal Inspectors say the same things about Home Inspectors…just a FYI moment. I did not however read the article so those are just my comments base on the title of the thread only…lol

Will you have admitted to making dsiparaging ethnic remarks on this thread, your new BFF bazzo is now saying I am smoking weed. This is a public thread, you guys need to stop this crap,

Thanks for proving my point for me, Brian.

When you are wrong, ALWAYS use larger fonts.

(Please be aware that when you type a one word search into Google, you will get different results, with regards to the top page organic source. This is based upon Google’s algorythm which varies according to time and the search queries from different parts of the country.)

And when you are wrong you just type,

THE WORD WAS BLUNTS WITH AN SSSSSSSSSSS

No, I have not. Please re-read my posts.

I guess it all depends upon whether you use a legal dictionary (or even Webster’s) or just Google when you use the word “dsiparaging” (or whether you actually use spell checker :mrgreen:)

dsiparaging: dsiparaging - Google Search

Disparaging: dsiparaging - Google Search

Again, you prove my point for me.

Come on Brian, don’t be a dope :mrgreen:. Your full name, company name etc. was not mentioned. the only way this would get indexed is by ***YOUR ***post’s. Stop being silly…

If BK can put his censorship badge away (and foul remarks)…Will, you brought up an interesting point about HI’s versus CI’s (code/building inspectors for short)…why do you think the public has a different perception of their knowledge vs. HI’s.

I have my own opinion about same but am interested in what others have to say about this topic. Obviously for those who have licensing requirements and more importantly how GC boards along with RE boards are regulating our industry…I would like to here your take.

Thanks

Jeff

PS. BK…please take a chill pill…

As to Will’s comment, when the Mob ran inspections, especially when it came to heavy equipment like cranes… no one died. If we want to stop the graft, then perhaps it’s time to pay the municipal inspectors a fair wage. Most are underpaid, especially electrical inspectors.

As to Jeff’s question… why the code inspector is viewed higher in the food chain than HI’s, the answers are quite simple:

• They have the backing and authority of the municipality/city/state, while we have no authority.

• They can stop the sale of a home, while we cannot.

• They are the sole arbitor as to what meets code or not, while our opinion does not count.

• They are viewed as public servants, while we are hired guns.

These are just the tip of the iceberg.

I can only speak from my experience, here in the Chicago area. When you grow up here, you learn politics almost from birth. Everyone is either connected or they are not (if you know what I mean :wink: ).

There is a great deal of power invested in the unions. They can make or break politicians. They control the building dept, and because Chicago is the 900 lb. gorilla in this area, the Chicago codes dominate the codes of the surrounding area (pretty much all of Northern Illinois).

Then, there is the history of the Great Chicago Fire. Because of this, the unions have been able to get very high construction requirements put int place (like all electrical wiring must be encased in EMT. NO Romex or armored cable allowed). This does maks things somewhat safer, but it also ensures that any electrical work will take longer and the electricians will be kept fully employed.

Only plumbers and roofers are state licensed. Yet, I know of many good experienced plumbers who moved to Illinois and applied to get a license, but found out that they could not get licensed unless they also joined the union (unoffcially, of course).

Because of this, people around here believe that the Chicago building code
is like Holy Writ! They have a hard time understanding that it is not, that it is only a bare minimum standard. They also do not realize that the City has no liability (nore does any CI in Illinois) of they miss something. So, they buy new construction, assume that the code inspection was good enough and are very surprised to find all the crap that the CI didn’t find, or did see but did not call out.

Also, each individual inspector has wery wide lattitude. Two different CIs may call out stuff totally differently. The written code specifically calls for flashing over porch and deck ledger board, yet I have yet to find a contractor who does it or a CI who calls it out.

I believe that people have become too complacent, too dependant on goverment to solve all our problems. People don’t want to take the time to do their own due dilligence, but are all too happy to sue someone for their own lack thereof.

Just my thoughts.

Het dip **** bazzo, stop asking me to send you weed and blunts. I unlike you do not smoke weed or blunts. I believe Will Deckerr gets all the blunts he needs from the Jewish Mafia, or from Jeffery Haynes. So if you need more blunts call Will Decker of Jeffery Haynes or some Jews…

Hope this helps…