Whats Wrong with this Water Service?

Water service pipe enters the foundation wall at the bottom right of the photo. See anything wrong?

012112 108.JPG

Where are all the CMIs?

Joe, one Charley is more than enough :wink:

From NACHI Plumbing Course:

With few exceptions, the water service pipe and the dwelling’s sewer pipe should be separated by 5 feet of undisturbed or compacted earth. The separation is intended to reduce the possibility of the sewer contaminating the potable water supply. Contamination can occur when there’s a leak in the building’s sewer located near the water service pipe. The soil around it can become contaminated. If the water service pipe has a break in it, then contamination could occur. The water service pipe should not be located in, under or above cesspools, septic tanks, septic drainage fields or seepage pits.

That rule doesn’t apply to plastic piping, which are 100% of the time laid in the same trench to the home. Nothing wrong there. The issue is in view. Not waste pipe related at all.

Fudge.

PEX pipe requires horizontal support every 2.67 feet

Hint: that black thing at the floor joist is the pressure reducing valve.

Whatever that white pipe services (hose bib?) is seeing full pressure

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Whether or not the pressure at the hose bib was < 80, it could be > 80 depending on the time of day you measure it. And it could be higher at any point in the future if the municipality increases system pressure.

Did it go to a hose bib or a sprinkler system? A Tee prior to the pressure reducing valve is quite common for landscaping purposes and distant point of use faucets especially on larger parcels.

Not applicable! Didn’t you see the Air Gap!!! :mrgreen:

Hose bib.

The location of the regulator is more of an issue than the fact that an exterior hose bib is not regulated.

The pressure should be regulated before it enters the structure, not somewhere within.

Around here it is common practice to allow an exterior hose bib to be off the regulated system. I have argued this case in point before.

It may be common practice, but it is a defect in my opinion. There are at least 2 fittings (at the T and at the hose bib) that could be overly stressed by high pressure and flood the crawl space.

Regulators are often in crawl spaces and I don’t have a problem with that (but admittedly not the most convenient location). A crawl space is defined as “accessible”. I’m not aware of any code that states where the regulator has to be located. There should be no fittings prior to the regulator to prevent leaks, however. I wouldn’t allow any fitted connection in the service pipe anywhere prior to the regulator (service pipe should be one piece).

I disagree with your interpretation that a crawlspace is considered “accessible” with regard to systems/components located within. It may be a regional thing, but CA crawlspaces are certainly not a “convenient” location for any service or repair.

Additionally, CA code allows for exterior hose-bibs to be unregulated with regard to pressure.

CPC 608.2 Excessive Water Pressure. Where static water pressure in the water supply piping is in excess of eighty (80) pounds per square inch (552 kPa), an approved-type pressure regulator preceded by an adequate strainer shall be installed and the static pressure reduced to eighty (80) pounds per square inch (552 kPa) or less. Such regulator(s) shall control the pressure to all water outlets in the building unless otherwise approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction. Each such regulator and strainer shall be accessibly located above ground or in a vault equipped with a properly sized and sloped bore-sighted drain to daylight, shall be protected from freezing, and shall have the strainer readily accessible for cleaning without removing the regulator or strainer body or disconnecting the supply piping. All pipe size determinations shall be based on eighty (80) percent of the reduced pressure when using Table 6-6.

Just because it’s inconvenient or that you have to crawl or get dirty doesn’t mean something is “inaccessible”. There is a difference between *accessible *and readily accessible, yes. And the CA nor the IRC states that the valve must be conveniently located.

Your CA code specifically states the strainer should be “readily accessible”. But the reducing valve just has to be “accessible”. The IRC does not state the the reducing valve must be readily accessible. (I’m not familiar with a strainer at all.)

2009 IRC P2903.3.1 Maximum pressure. Maximum static pressure shall
be 80 psi (551 kPa). When main pressure exceeds 80 psi (551
kPa), an approved pressure-reducing valve conforming to ASSE
1003 shall be installed on the domestic water branch main or
riser at the connection to the water-service pipe."

2009 IRC SECTION R202
DEFINITIONS

** ACCESSIBLE**. Signifies access that requires the removal of
an access panel or similar removable obstruction.

*Commentary: *The code defines access as being able to be reached,
but first may require the removal of a panel, door or similar
obstruction. An appliance or piece of equipment is not
accessible if any portion of the structure’s permanent finish
materials, such as drywall, plaster, paneling, built-in
furniture, cabinets or any other similar permanently affixed
building component must be removed.

*Commentary: *In general, where immediate access is not required because
of the low level of hazard involved, an accessible
method is all that is mandated, such as the removal of an
access panel. The electrical definitions found in Chapter
34 contain two additional definitions for accessible that
apply specifically to electrical wiring methods and electrical
equipment. See Section 1102 of the IBC for the
meaning of “accessible” as it applies to the requirements
for “accessible” dwelling units in Section R326.

** ACCESSIBLE, READILY**. Signifies access without the
necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

*Commentary: *Where this term is designated as a requirement by
other sections of the code, it is intended that access to
the device, controls, shut-off valves or other element
be extremely easy. “Readily accessible” means that
the device must be reachable directly without a panel,
door or equipment needing to be moved to gain access.
Chapter 24, Fuel Gas, has a similar definition
noted as “Ready access (to).”

Your correct and if you were the AHJ in my area you could enforce this, but unfortunately the ones who are find this practice acceptable. :neutral:

I just smile and tell the buyer to buy a really good hose for the front yard. :smiley:

I concur…