What's your call?

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How would you call this?

Simple water stains, no big deal?

![](upload://yGFZ0UnQJUHfdazoLjzjbL2oAsa.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Depends on what you mean by “no big deal”.

The water stains came from water. Which should not have been there.

There are also other water stains on that drywall, so the water MAY not have anything to do with the electrical, other than that light needs to be replaced.

Of course, if we keep that in "perspective", that el cheapo light is only about a buck and a half. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

jpeck wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "no big deal".

From another thread
jpeck wrote:
Depends on what is considered a lot of money.

Jerry, are thinking about going into politics? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

phinsperger wrote:
Jerry, are thinking about going into politics? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Nope, but why do you think I made reference to "keep in perspective"?

Because it is such a ridiculous idea that the HI must "keep it in perspective", like "being fair to the house".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

If I didn't keep things in perspective I would be of little use to my clients. That's half the reason they hire me.
1) To find the problems
2) To put those problems into perspective for them.

Perhaps you may call it something different from me but a rose by any other name....

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

phinsperger wrote:
Jerry,

If I didn't keep things in perspective I would be of little use to my clients. That's half the reason they hire me.
1) To find the problems
2) To put those problems into perspective for them.

Perhaps you may call it something different from me but a rose by any other name....

I am hired to find the problems, and tell them about the problems, and explain the problems.

I AM NOT hired to try to make a problem seem less significant and "in perspective". It is what it is.

"Yep, that sure is an old roof, at 50 years old, but, you know, for a 50 year old roof is sure is in good condition." That is putting it in perspective.

"Yep, that sure is an old roof, and at 50 yeas old, IT IS ABOUT 20 YEARS PAST ITS NORMAL LIFE EXPECTANCY. That roof should have been replaced 20 years ago, but instead it was coated with an elastomeric coating." THAT is my "perspective".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

jpeck wrote:
I AM NOT hired to try to make a problem seem less significant and "in perspective".

Putting something into perspective does not mean making it seem less significant. To me at least, it means getting the client to see the "real" significance (safety, monetary, etc) within the big picture. Sometimes the client may need get more concerned about something, other times less concerned. It all depends on how that client is viewing that defect at the time.

If I had a client walk away from a house because it was missing one cover I failed to properly educate my client. My client may use this as an excuse to walk for other reasons and that's fine, but please not really for the missing cover.

![eusa_think.gif](upload://lNFeGuTetUAtwNVgUSOuUzgrGGK.gif) Instead of coupons maybe I should just offer to hand out cover plates for boxes with ones missing. With my name printed on them of course

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

phinsperger wrote:
If I had a client walk away from a house because it was missing one cover I failed to properly educate my client. My client may use this as an excuse to walk for other reasons and that's fine, but please not really for the missing cover.

"If I had a client walk away from a house because it was missing one cover I failed to properly educate my client."

or "My client may use this as an excuse to walk for other reasons and that's fine, but please not really for the missing cover."

And you may never know the difference.

Thus, to me, this ("If I had a client walk away from a house because it was missing one cover I failed to properly educate my client.") is an incorrect statement - because you may never "KNOW" if it was something else.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Personally I would move this over to the “mold” forum if it is not still getting wet. That is probably a bigger issue for customers these days.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I don’t do mold icon_cool.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Mold is such a touchy issue in Texas that at inspector school (ITA) they taught us to call it a “Black Organic Substance”.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com