When Do You Know Your Ready to Actually Inspect?

Hi all! So i have extensive experience in the home services & contracting industry running businesses, marketing, building websites, and working with clients. I also know a number of realtors from these businesses. I am not intimidated by the business/marketing aspect of home inspections so much, but rather need to be confident of my technical proficiency as an inspector. So I have studied the courses for about 4 months, should be ready to pass the test, set up my inspection software, practice doing inspections on my own home as well as for friends and family, get insurance etc. - but how will I know I am ready to actually do a paid inspection in the real world?

It seems clear enough taking courses only prepares you so much. Should I just jump into the fire and start doing inspections or be trying to do ride alongs first or anything else? I am not terribly keen on being someone’s employee - I will most likely become a competitor and don’t want to risk being accused of stealing my employers clients.

1 Like

Inspect 10 houses for friends and write complete reports (each report has to be completed in timely manner). Make sure the reports are a polished product. Have the reports reviewed by a peer. Then you will know if you are ready or not. Passing tests do not make you a home inspector :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome aboard, Nathan. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome Nathan. This is a constant learning business. This forum is very informative.

3 Likes

Thank you - I can see it is a business requiring dedication to learning!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Nathan,

2 Likes

Everyone’s different of course. I’ve felt I’ve been groomed for home inspections my entire life. I was ready before I even joined this fine organization.

2 Likes

So at what point did you believe you were ready to start performing inspections?

Did you do 10 mock inspections and reports and get peer review like was suggested?

5 Likes

Right after I had I’ll my paperwork in order. About a month after I joined nachi and passed the exam.

2 Likes

I have not done that yet, but i’m hearing that’s a good idea.

2 Likes

I have not done that yet, but i’m hearing that’s a good idea.

It is. It will also allow you to develop a system to inspect. Whatever that system turns out to be, be consistent with it.

2 Likes

Like others have said, the mock inspections are critical in many aspects. I think you would still benefit from doing a few ride along jobs with an existing inspector and take in as much as you can with them. You will be surprised what you may learn. This is partially why many states require this for licensing. Have them copy you if they will on their report and compare theirs to yours when done without looking at theirs first.

2 Likes

Like Simon said #1 … Then #2 look for a mentor on InterNACHI’s mentoring site. #3 find someone in your area OR even 50-100 miles away to let you go on a few “ride-alongs” (you’re NOT his competition).

When I decided to go full time in 1984, I’d been a builder, AC factory rep and grew up in a foundation family AND had done inspections part-time for 9 yrs. Had a LOT of experience BUT went to DC to take a week long BUTT-in-the-SEAT class, THEN when I got home lined up 8-10 ride-alongs with full time experienced home inspectors in a city about 125 miles from me.

After that I started

2 Likes

1 Like

Thank you all for contributing your answers - this was helpful!

1 Like