when found-confiscate

Originally Posted By: lgoodman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On the peg board in the basement was a 6’’ sj electric cord with two male ends. " Wow", Isaid, “this is the least complicated suicide machine I have ever seen. Why in the world do you have this?”

A couple of winters ago they were hanging Christmas lights. Wife started at one end of house, husband started at the other and they met in the middle with two females. "Some man" at the hardware store made this for them and said not to feel stupid because he has to make one almost every year for someone who made the same mistake.

I am trying to identify the perp so I can explain the dis-service he has been providing and to get him to post some sort of warning to others he has endangered in the past.

There must be more of these out there. My advice is to confiscate,destroy and explain the extreme peril involved with this device.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

You must have more authority down in Kentucky than I have. nachi_sarcasm.gif

We have no authority to confiscate or destroy anything.

I know that you were trying to make a point but persons newer to the field may have taken that literally.

Now back to the subject at hand - see http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=13740

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I don’t confiscate anything. I have no power to do that, and if I took it I would be stealing.

I take a picture of it, report it in the report, inform the buyer and the seller if I can of the safety risk.

I meant it literally. Tell them you are taking it. Tell them why you are taking it. Destroy it. Do not allow this device to exist. If you leave it behind you have failed as a human.

Do you need authority to push someone out of the way of a speeding bus, to pull someone from a burning building,to save a drowning person? You don't need authority to confiscate this you need only to realize how DANGEROUS it is to allow it to exist.

Paul,

You objected to my saying confiscate and destroy and then sent me to a site that says confiscate, destroy (with pictures of destruction carried out by Joe T. which I take to mean he agrees with me), call the cops, have them arrested, take the children.

I took all those posts literally and do not feel that my HI skills are compromised by taking them literally. However I would not recommend calling the cops or taking the children.

On the message board I take everything literally unless there is an emoticon and I can decipher how they don't want me to take it literally.
For the record, take my posts literally.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I agree you have no right to taking anything but you can cut the plugs off … say “opps” or “you’re welcome” … your call.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

a home inspector. From his website he is;

Quote:
IAEI Active Electrical Inspector member since 1979, Certified Electrical Inspector 2A, 2B, and 2C since 1979, Licensed Massachusetts Journeyman and Master Electrician Since 1981, Electrical Instructor for NFPA, IAEI, and NTT from 1981, through 2004, present owner and NEC Consultant

I really don't know if that gives him authority to confiscate and destroy electrical items or not. I don't know your law well enough. But I do know that home inspectors do not have such authority.

What if the people you were trying to confiscate from outright refused? What would you do?

It is commendable that you feel that strongly about the welfare of other people. I'm concerned about your welfare enough to ask you not to overstep your authority and get yourself in trouble.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Leigh -

Just for general conversation - if I was a homeowner and you as a home inspector and guest in my house felt the authority to take ANYTHING of mine, I'd break a crowbar over your head or out of spite have you arrested. The same would hold true for any type of tradesperson in my home (such as an electrician like Joe T).

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

dbowers wrote:
Leigh -

Just for general conversation - if I was a homeowner and you as a home inspector and guest in my house felt the authority to take ANYTHING of mine, I'd break a crowbar over your head or out of spite have you arrested. The same would hold true for any type of tradesperson in my home (such as an electrician like Joe T).

Dan, I like your style. And as the earlier poster said as long as you said "Opps" it would be ok. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Well I guess we are all entitled to posess our tragedies waiting to happen without any interference from the do-gooders who want to prevent a death.

We also have a constitutional right to possess our firearms but if I see the baby playing with a loaded gun I am going to remove the weapon without any regard to our standards of practice.

I did say tell them that you are taking it and tell them why you are taking it but I guess some would still chose to keep this time bomb.

It may be different in my part of the world because I can’t imagine anyone around here would assault me with a deadly weapon for my attempts to keep their families safe from electrocution.

I would also point out that the law will not support your assault for the reasons you stated as there was no threat to your person and the penalty for an alleged theft is not a beating with a crow bar and the penalty,whatever it is, is not to meted out by the alleged victim.
I do agree you would be within your rights to call the police.

Originally Posted By: kbowles

Hell with it I say, just use it as it is intended and it will take care of itself.

Disclosure for Leighs sake.....This was written in jest, please do not attempt this at home as we are all trained professionals and would never post anything that may endanger the life of a fellow inspector or homeowner.

Lighten up, take a chill pill, quit trying to save the world, ID it, report it, and move on. Life's too short.

Just my humble opinion.

Kevin B

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

lgoodman wrote:
if I see the baby playing with a loaded gun I am going to remove the weapon without any regard to our standards of practice.

Removing the gun from the baby isn't a problem, removing it from the premises and destroying it would be a big problem.

Besides the legal consequences, consider that a household that allows babies to play with guns probably has more than one gun and ain't afraid to use them.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Quote:
406.6(B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs
shall be installed so that their prongs, blades, or pins are not
energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle. No
receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of
an energized attachment plug as its source of supply.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: rcooke

jtedesco wrote:
Quote:
406.6(B) Connection of Attachment Plugs. Attachment plugs
shall be installed so that their prongs, blades, or pins are not
energized unless inserted into an energized receptacle. No
receptacle shall be installed so as to require the insertion of
an energized attachment plug as its source of supply.

Right or wrong I do not see where that gives me the right to destroy some ones else's property.
I find a receptacle where Mr less then professional has hooked up the Hot (Black ) wire to the ground
of a receptacle should I then destroy the receptacle.
It is also capable of killing some one .
This cord we are talking about is wrong but sitting not attached to any thing is just a improper cord some one has made up .
I find receptacles where the black and white wire are reversed all the time .
I just write them up as requiring immediate repair.
Do not tell me this is OK because many years ago GE made a portable TV that the metal chassis was hooked to the neutral .
This TV was never sold in Canada because it could not pass our Canadian Standards Act.
This TV was removed from the USA market but I believe there where many casualties from it .
This was about 1960.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Relating this cord scenario to a factory where OSHA has (way too much) authority, even the OSHA inspector would not confiscate the offending cord, they would just make note of it in their report, suggest it’s removal, and then levy a nice hefty fine if it’s still there during the follow-up inspection.

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

In high school there was just such a plug for use with a machine in the photo lab. Being the electrical wiz that I was I plugged it in and “tapped” it with a screwdriver. It blew the screw driver out of my hand and left me scarred to death…and luckily not electrocuted to death. It did take a chunk out of the screw driver but didn’t trip the circuits.

If you have trouble sleeping at night knowing that you left such an item in a home, then remove it. However, be aware of the consequences of your actions.

--
Curtis

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Please remove the threats of bodily harm against me from the posts here.

It is not uncommon for some to sit behind their computer and express their opinions, but calling out a name with no prior understanding of the actual situation, and referencing another post is not necessary.

I showed the makeshift death trap to the hotel manager, and was given the authority to "get rid" of it and he thanked me for pointing the hazard out. I even included it in my monthly article showing the readers of EC&M Magazine of the hazard and the code requirement.

The examples given above by a few could have been even more serious, and may have resulted in a very serious burn or electrocution.

See some examples below.

http://www.joetedesco.org/contact.html

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

I created some furor with my use of the word confiscate at the start of this thread. Too late to take it back, but I wish I had left that word out.

I did not confiscate anything until after I initiated a conversation regarding the device, I verbally reported on an electrocution hazard, and received permission from the owner to remove and destroy.

Subsequently, the seller of the house (not my client), called me to tell a story.

She mentioned the incident to her daughter. Her daughter confessed that the son-in-law did not slip on the ice and break his ankle last winter. He fell off the aluminum ladder while he was stringing the lights. He never reported the truth to the mother-in-law because he felt stupid for using something he KNEW at the time was dangerous.

I'm glad I didn't say what I was thinking. "That Idiot hid the truth and returned the device for another unwitting victim."

She said she got real emotional and sobbed for an hour during which time she decided to have me inspect her next home when she finds it.

I made it clear it will not be a safety inspection and will probably make her sign for that.

She has never seen the report I provided the buyer. They took the place
with no objection. She wants me to do her inspection because I made her
cord go away after I explained why she should want it to go away.
Maybe this should be in the marketing forum.

Originally Posted By: tallen

This has nothing to do with electrical, but it seems to fit the thread.

Some time ago I found 3 bales (around 8 pounds) of marijawana ( pot) in a Master bedroom closet, it was covered with clothes , but they made the mistake of putting it in the corner were I needed to look for moisture etc.

What would you do?

Grab a pinch?

Ignore it?

Call the Police?

other?

Guess what I did for 100 points. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Mind my own business.

How did you know it was POT ???

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com