When to replace water heater...

Mario,

The system that I have installed on my home is a Wedeco product.

http://www.wedeco.com/Consumer___Residenti.485+M50abf1bf8fe.0.html

Joe

I will consider installing this type of unit at my place.I appreciate all the info,I would like to get all the facts before I jump into one system over another.

We have the most amount of fresh water in the world {great lakes} and I refuse to drink from the tap,My wife however uses tap water to cook with!!

I live in a century old building my wife owns,we have 2 retail stores below and I have completely renovated the 2nd floor and we have lived here for 9 years.I have changed all the plumbing,what concerns me is the city pipes that supply us,and the quality of water that they supply.

Mario

P.s I have changed my water heater!

Clients always want to know how long will it last… the roof covering material, the appliances… and the answers all depend on a number of variables, like for water heaters…

• the quality of the water heater
  • the chemical composition of the water
  • the long-term temperature settings
  • the quality and frequency of mainainence (past and future)[LIST]
  • flushing
  • replacing sacraficial anodes
    [/LIST] maybe the ignition system?

Unless an inspeector feels comfortable calculating all this and then giving them an lifespan answer… why do it?

As a general rule, a storage water heater will last anywhere between 10-20 years. In a majority of cases, when a tank eventually fails or bursts, a slow leak from the anode casing or element gasket will be visible. Although, not particularly dangerous when outside, if a tank bursts inside a property it can cause significant flood damage. Depending on your insurance policy, and the state you are in, if the water heater is not up to current standards, consequential damage may not be covered. It is important to consider the location and potential for damage. For some general tips on leaking valves and hot water components this is a useful guide. https://www.conradmartens.com.au/leaking-valve/ Rather then replacement, preventative measures (such as replacement anodes or flood prevention valve) can be a useful alternative.

I often run across installations in problematic locations that don’t allow for draining the emergency pan to an exterior location (i.e. an interior ground floor closet.) That’s when I recommend that the owner replace the water heater regularly - as soon as 8 years and no longer than 10 years. Otherwise, even with some sort of moisture alarm, they risk damage to surrounding flooring and walls.

My response depends on the water heater type and location. I tell clients that I would not keep a tank type water heater that is installed in the attic beyond its 10th birthday, no matter how good it looks from the outside. The ramifications of a ruptured tank in an attic water heater can be catastrophic.

Tankless water heaters, I would run until they quit. Tank type water heaters in the garage where they won’t cause real damage - owner’s choice (I had one that had a major rupture at the ripe old age of 5 years - still had one year of warranty).