Where are you weak ?

I am suprised that the results so far on both sides,indicate HVAC.
This is also an area where I see the least educational offers.
Hmmmm.

Reason being is that HVAC requires license/certification if you go very far. There’s very little you can determine if you don’t check the refrigeration pressures which is a violation of the clean air act unless you have a certification by the EPA.

There is HVAC training here at NACHI. It will be in Nashville, Tennessee in May.

You either know HVAC or you do not. HVAC is probably the hardest to understand but there is also a lot of home inspectors that are HVAC guys.

I would like to see it as an on site course.

I couldn’t find any such violations in the Clean Air Act nor any type of HVAC certification by the EPA. I think HVAC certification is up to individual states.

It is not surprising to me that HVAC is a weak area for most HI’S but what does surprise me about this BB is the amount of questions asked about HVAC seems to be an area that I lot of guys will not ask question for fear of others on the board knowing what they know or don’t know. Does not make sense to me but that is my perception. There are numerous Hi’s on this BB that can answer most any question that could be asked. Guys all one has to do is ask.

I have my EPA certification in my profile and most definately yes you have to be certified by the EPA and issued a seperate card in order to handle Freon

Thanks, Charley.

Any idea where the requirements can be found on the EPA web site, if at all? Or what section in the Clean Air Act addresses the issue? Thanks.

Good Ole Mikeeee beat me to it:D

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I never have a problem asking, even at the risk of looking stupid.
That is why I have come so far in a short period Charley.

I would’ve checked electrical too-- why wasn’t it there? :wink:

Russel, Sorry not to be able to answer your question.
I see the guys have got it covered.

If it was not clear in the EPA site (most has to do with refrigerant handling and recovery) as it relates to Home Inspection, you can not do anything to an Air Conditioner/Heat Pump that may result in a loss of refrigerant into the atmosphere. This includes installing a set of pressure gauges.

Sorry about electrical.
I was shocked that I could not edit it in.The poll was already live and had been conducted.
That one **panel **would not go in.

You are the exception rather than the rule if everyone on the BB had your attitude every Hi in this organization would excel in all of the areas of inspection. Again just my perception

I must admit ,I am suprised by how many Inspectors are introverted in such a public career.

I ask questions (everytime I have one) and electrical and HVAC are the ones where the other HI’s make me feel the dumbest (doesn’t stop me asking). I have local contacts that I’ll ask first, but since their not HI’s the info is not always pertinent. At that point I ask on the MB.

Jack it is guys like you and Bob with the curiosity and desire to learn that always move on to become very good inspectors

Anybody who knows it all , knows nothing.
Soon as your ego gets to big, you have truly stopped learning.
A hungry animal has the sharpest senses.

I just took the online exam and it proved me to be correct. Electrical and HVAC were my lowest scores. So my VOTE goes for HVAC and electrical.
Oh, BTW just went into year 2 as member (that’s why I took exam again).:slight_smile: