Where does the inspection stop?

So where do you quit inspecting this deck? Sorry, this is the best picture I have at the moment. It stops at the gazebo pictured. Do you inspect all of it including the gazebo?

what did You agree to inspect when You accepted the job ???

Well… I had no clue there was a gazebo or a deck to be honest.

Does your SOP say stop at the gazebo?

2 Likes

My state utilizes NACHI SOP so not that I’m aware of.

Under Promise, Over Deliver… Do It All!!

16 Likes

Personally I would inspect it. Honestly how much extra time could that take?

I’ve inspected many homes that say they have a deck only to get there and then I have three or four levels of decks and balconies, a whole lot bigger than what you’re showing.

3 Likes

Same here. I don’t have it (gazebos, unattached decks, etc.) set in my report but will let the client know via email that it was inspected as part of the property and list any concerns and issues if necessary.

Yup I’ll do an inspection on the beach and the damn deck goes on forever. Just do what you say.

Now you have another question to ask at the first phone call with the potential client. :smile:

1 Like

Was there no listing online to view? A deck like that and gazebo are selling points. Would have been photos. Granted listings are not always accurate, but are a great source for information about the house.
If it’s there, inspect it. Nothing to lose by doing it other than a bit of time.

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t you inspect the deck and gazebo? They are pretty common and normal to be inspected with the home inspection. And by looking up the home on the realtor site or realtor.com you will get many photos and a write up so you know what to expect, even though there will be surprises! The only time you don’t do something is if you can’t gain access, if it’s unsafe, or beyond the scope of your inspection and not agreed on…then disclose what you didn’t inspect and the reason why.

1 Like

You can’t price out something if they don’t tell you about it…do what you’re comfortable with only…otherwise disclaim it by saying it was not inspected because it was not revealed to you when you priced the job. Decks especially can have a lot of defects…why waste your time on something you’re not getting paid for (and possibly could be liable for)? Sometimes I’ll include pictures of it with the caption that it was excluded from the report…in that way they get a feel for the dilapidated shed, outbuilding, deck or whatever and you don’t have to write up all the defects.

i don’t understand inspectors that bid & take jobs & don’t know what the hell they’ve gotten into
before i even bother to quote i have an addy & look up the property on google maps-earth & the tax data & sometimes permits when i’m pretty sure things ain’t what they say they are
i like to know where i’m going, what i’m inspecting & what the prop looks like beyond the listing pix
flat fee & sq ft will really bite ya if ya ever delve into more lucrative commercial or industrial

this request for “what do you charge” wound up being almost 5 times another firm’s ordinary sqft quote after i spelled it out line item in the agreement-contract

if all else fails fill this out

3 Likes

It’s not anything about whether or not I know what I’ve got myself into. Seems as if things have been taking out of context. It was simple question aimed to see what other inspectors do and to bounce questions from one another.

2 Likes

If I get to the house and find something I didn’t account for, that is on me. I suck it up and go on. If there is deliberate under sizing of the house or key details left out, that can be a different story. However for me those are rare. FSBO houses can be a bit more challenging since generally there is no listing. The county or tax office doesn’t always have the latest info.
One of the first comments I make during the initial contact is “tell me about your house”. A simple conversation. If I cannot get all the facts I need, or suspect there is more, I give them a range for the fee.
Regardless, everything gets inspected. That is what the customer is expecting. Remember, many have never been through the process and don’t have a clue about our world.

1 Like

Good “Report Writing” lesson for ya’!! :wink: