Where to begin?

Originally Posted By: Douglas McClew
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi I’m new to this message board and I have been studying a course for home inspection. I am almost finished and would like to know where to begin when it comes to the financial end of this venture? I have the basics a computer, all the hand tools, ladders and some knowledge. I don’t expect to get rich. Here in Michigan the state doesn’t have a requirement for license.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

You’re missing some basic tools of the trade:

Bible, Rosary Beads, flashlight, bug spray, tweezers, band-aids, lie detector, x-ray specs, code books, bowie knife, inspection agreement, rocket pack (for high places), errors and omissions insurance, thick skin, patience, kevlar vest, knee pads, snake repellent, confidence, thick skull, charged cell phone... oh yeah, one more thing... ETHICS

Most of the stuff listed above can be purchased, but some of it can not. Some is cheap, and some is expensive. I won't explain what it's all for, you'll have to figure that part out for yourself. But, knowing my compadres on this message board, I'm sure many will chime in!

Welcome to the Profession and to NACHI. You'll find the folks on this BB to be a great group. We like to help newbies, so relax... you'll do fine, and there are a lot of folks you can ask for help/opinions. The knowledge transfer on these forums is great!

As to financial guidance, what are your questions?

Originally Posted By: gbell

Welcome Douglas,

The best asset you can have is perseverance. It takes time to build a successful home inspection business.

Good luck with your adventure.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Brian Maloney

Doug,

Be a little more specific... "financial end" is very broad. I've notice you'll get plenty of ideas here when you get specific: Ask about wire and we'll degenerate very quickly to "wire supported bras," donuts and some laughs. Ask about 12-gauge wire in a bathroom outlet over a sink and they'll fill a library with answers, code and government regulations for you.

--
Brian Maloney, NACHI
Valley Forge Chapter

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Douglas

Welcome to NACHI!!

My financial end of this venture is my wife who has a job. Starting out is a slow be steady process. I have been in business for 7 months and hope to finally start paying myself a salary (a small one) in the next few months. Make sure you have living expenses in place until things get rolling.

Good luck.

RonK