White conductors ok here?

I am curious about your response, could this wiring have been done by a homeowner with no electrical experience, could it be a safety issue for the new homeowner. Why would I pay for an licensed electrician to check this panel?
Am I missing something?

What about this makes you think that this was done by a homeowner or someone else lacking in electrical knowledge?

As Robert and Jim said, it is not uncommon to see a white conductor on a CB in older installation. When I see it I do not write it up. I just take my black sharpy and mark it. I know, it is out of the SOP but if that is the only issue in the box why include it in the report with “have a licensed Electrician repair” etc.
I do the same with missing or improper panel/dead front screws. I carry an assortment of panel screws and just make the correction and move on.

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. It would take less time to mark it with a sharpie then it would to write it up.

White wire on the breaker, ok, should be marked. Black wire on the neutral bar, it’s questionable.

Black on neutral bus is wrong.

I think before one can say that the black conductor on the neutral bus is wrong we need to know what that conductor actually is. From it’s size it looks like it could be a grounding electrode conductor.

1 Like

[quote=“rmeier2, post:27, topic:171421”]I think before one can say that the black conductor on the neutral bus is wrong we need to know what that conductor actually is.
From it’s size it looks like it could be a grounding electrode conductor.
[/quote]

Good point! Thanks, Rob!