Whitewashing Reports!!

Originally Posted By: rking
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Thanks Raymond,

I am a firm believer in telling it like it is. I did the Carson, Dunlop course and during that course they make it quite clear that you do not be an alarmist at all. If you find something terribly wrong, tell your client in laymans terms what is wrong, how it might have gotten that way and the implications.
All of which I think I did, as I said originally, my client was extremely happy. Unfortunately for me being relatively new, the word of mouth from the real estate agent is going to help or hinder more than my happy client in the SHORT term. Oh well, C'est la vie!

BTW my client did not purchase that home, changed real estate offices and has told me when they find something else they will definitely call me to do the inspection, even asked how far I would travel to do one for them.
So in retrospect, I did right by my client, and myself!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: rray

Remind the Realtor that the Client needs a home. It may or may not be the home you inspected. So even if the deal falls through, guess what, Mr. Realtor. The Client still needs a home. Stick with said Client and make sure said Client is happy in that new home and neither the Realtor nor the home inspector will wind up in court because of dissatisfaction of said Client with said Client’s new home. So if the Realtor will have the Client’s best interest in mind, then the Realtor will eventually get that almighty commission. Unfortunately, real estate has become so easy and so robotic here that some Realtors don’t like to work 10 hours for $20,000 in commission, only to have the deal fall through and have to work another 10 hours for that same $20,000 commission with that same Client. That means that their $2,000 hourly pay rate has now fallen to $1,000 per hour. Oh, poor babies. Can I get you a margarita to drown your sorrows?

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: rwand

Russel

I think it is called greed!

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

And laziness!

And to think, I had one realtor suggest to me (in jest) that I got into inspections because I was too lazy to do the carpentry anymore!! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"

So does that mean real estate agents don’t like selling cars anymore, and want an easier source of income? After all you get “better mileage” selling realestate, and the house sale(s) doesn’t require certification to be road worthy? icon_lol.gif

NACHI Member

rwand wrote:
but in seeing wisely.

Raymond, do you know who said that? It's quite inspirational and should be posted in the "Inspirational" thread.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Russel

Yes the quote is from Sir William Osler who was a very well know Physician (Army Surgeon) in Ontario and he had many quotes. I l iked it so much I used it as my company motto. He was quoted with stating it in 1905.

I love quotes from famous people. I have a large hard covered book called, "The Dictionary of Canadian Quotations and Phrases". Sometimes you will see me sign my posts off with some famous quotes from Canadians when I feel a special quote delivers a message, that I am not clever enough to come up with myself.

Here is another from Sir William Osler...

Apathy
By far the most dangerous foe we have to fight is apathy - indifference from whatever casue, not from a lack of knowledge, but from carelessness, from absorption in other pursuits, from a contempt bred of self-satisfaction.

To which I might add is exactly the problem with OAHI and many of its apathetic membership.

Aren't you glad you asked?

--

NACHI Member

Yes.

I've always been a fan of Bartlett's.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

I think some of them would sell their closest family member if the price was right! icon_eek.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Muskoka Home Inspections

“Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences”