Who inspects the White House?

Do the secret service have a CMI on staff?

I just watched a clip of Trump walking out of the White House door into the rose garden and the hinges on the door caught my eye. I couldn’t help but think how embarrassing it would be for everyone in the country if the door wasn’t operating correctly. They probably have a pretty robust repair and maintenance program in place.

Who is inspecting the White House?! Does it get inspected every 6 months or something?

Per White House History.org
the chief usher is the general manager of the building, overseeing construction and renovation projects, maintenance, food service, as well as the administrative, fiscal, and personnel functions of the residence. The chief usher manages the White House Residence Staff of approximately 90-100 people, consisting of butlers, maids, housekeepers, chefs, cooks, doormen, florists, curators, electricians, plumbers, storekeepers, engineers, and others.

4 Likes

The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) oversees maintenance in the White House. More specifically, the Public Building Service division of the GSA handles maintenance.

• The annual cost of maintenance is $750,000–1.6 million.
  • Painting the White House’s exterior requires 570 gallons of paint.
  • Paint alone would cost more than $20,000.
  • The building features 412 doors, 147 windows, 28 fireplaces, eight staircases, and three elevators.
  • The White House’s current estimated value is $398,705,319.

White House Maintenance: An Inside Look - Facility Management Maintenance & Operations Quick Read (facilitiesnet.com)

6 Likes
  • Value of current occupants - $0.00
6 Likes

CMI, I saw what you did there.

1 Like

@gromicko, you gotta get your foot in the door over there. Offer them a free tool bag! All kinds of tools just lying around in there.

Wow, wonder what the appraisal process is like for that number.

Let’s Go Brandon!

2 Likes

I am a GSA contractor, and I’ve inspected a bunch of court houses, VA clinics and hospitals, FBI buildings, and NSA sites over the years. I’ve also done two foreign embassy/consulate properties.

3 Likes

And I was a GSA Resident Construction Engineer for a Maine Border Station in 1986.

3 Likes

I read that they change 250 light bulbs per day in the White House.

They are called re-lampers. I worked for years at a DOE site where 4 union electricians or re-lampers had a job forever until LED lights came around.

I recently read that back in the day you could get service contracts for lighting fixtures you purchase that would include a tech coming to your house to replace lightbulbs periodically. Are any of you old enough to remember that?