Who needs a conduit bender when you can just do this?

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Of course I suppose that’s marginally better than this:

...from the same building... except this is in one of the elevators.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Well… I was guilty of that the first time I tried to bend 1 1/4" EMT!

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Well... I was guilty of that the first time I tried to bend 1 1/4" EMT!

Yeah but did you use it? lol

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Joey D'Adamo wrote:
Ryan Jackson wrote:

Yeah I used it as a hockey stick to use when we used to play hockey at lunch with EMT and a plastic bushing for a puck. An A-frame ladder makes a pretty goal too.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Ryan Jackson wrote:
Joey D'Adamo wrote:
Ryan Jackson wrote:

Yeah I used it as a hockey stick to use when we used to play hockey at lunch with EMT and a plastic bushing for a puck. An A-frame ladder makes a pretty goal too.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

LOL maybe the guy who did that should've done the same instead of trying to use it. I wonder how he got the wire through there. Plus I think the connection to the box is totally wrong; it should've been run into the side of the box like any other ordinary peice of conduit, but I bet they would've had a hell of a time bending the required offset for that considering the job done there... lol

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

My most unusual EMT trick was an inmate at Hendry CI who bent “2000” in a single stick of 1/2" and the lights were burning when I first saw it. He swears he pulled the wire in after he bent it but I don’t believe it.

I suspect the maintenance super still has it hanging in his office.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Greg Fretwell wrote:
My most unusual EMT trick was an inmate at Hendry CI who bent "2000" in a single stick of 1/2" and the lights were burning when I first saw it. He swears he pulled the wire in after he bent it but I don't believe it.

Greg:

I would like to hear more about the inmates and the electrical work they did while you were an inspector in that type of occupancy.

Did they have any formal training? What are the wiring systems like in the jail?

Some installers and inspectors may be there too!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

jtedesco wrote:
Greg Fretwell wrote:
My most unusual EMT trick was an inmate at Hendry CI who bent "2000" in a single stick of 1/2" and the lights were burning when I first saw it. He swears he pulled the wire in after he bent it but I don't believe it.

Greg:

I would like to hear more about the inmates and the electrical work they did while you were an inspector in that type of occupancy.

Did they have any formal training? What are the wiring systems like in the jail?

Some installers and inspectors may be there too!

I suppose some were in the trade before they got arrested but it is mostly OJT, supervised by the head of maintenance of the CI. These guys are generally the best pipe benders I have ever seen. They have plenty of time so they can take the time to get it right. Desoto CI has pipe runs with 10 or more EMTs going for hundreds of feet and never varying more than 1/8" from each other. All of the conduit bodies are spaced out in patterns in the run that can only be called art. The Chief of Mainenance is a real perfectionist and I never caught him with a violation. He did call me when he had a question and I usually walked the "next step" of each job when I was doing the current inspection. That is something a muni inspector will never have the time to do.
The worst "electricians" were usually park rangers.