Who's fault is it really

Mr King you should clarify what test you were doing and did not point this out in the first thread. I have done many crawlspaces. You started out with the mention of 20 t0 25% of what? If it was the wood you should have clarified this in the post if it is under the vapor you would be wrong.

Who is really at fault when a six year old house has crawlspace floor system moisture ranging from 20 to 25 percent with heavy fungi growth. Assume the problem started developing when the house was new. The ground was covered with vapor barrier over about 40 percent of the area.

It depends on what the owner (bank) decides but I really just wanted the public that is savvy enough to find this thread to know about this common issue.

Jamie, did the encapsulated space have a dehumidifier and condensate pump? Were the walls sealed with plastic and the piers wrapped? I ask because Terminex has started selling an “encapsulation” to their customers that is a 6 mil poly, a central dehu and some half a** air sealing.

Thanks.

You answered your own question when you highlighted “floor system”.
Floor systems are typically made out of wood in crawlspace houses.

Under the vapor barrier? Are you serious? :slight_smile:
Do you really do crawlspaces? Maybe just a regional terminology thing or ?

Yes Bruce as in a crawlspace when you look up is the ceiling but when you look down is the floor and when I test for moisture I check the floor joists which become the ceiling in the crawlspace and under the vapor barrier if high moisture is present. LOL

Brad

It’s funny you mentioned Terminex, I believe they were the company that did the home in Norfolk I saw awhile back.
Yes, they did put poly on the ground (but did not seal the seams); they partially covered the foundation walls; they did not bother with the brick piers; they stuffed some rigid foam insulation in the foundation vents (but did not properly seal them).
It was one of the poorest jobs or attempts I have seen. After the crawl developed moisture problems, they told the home owner he needed a dehumidifier.
I think a sealed cralwpsace can work, but it will most likely have to be new construction. The companies that market retro fits, ussually do a poor job.

I am sure Brad will disagree :slight_smile:

http://www.thecrawlspacecompany.net/

Thanks Troy, I do disagree a bit. I do follow ups with my customers annually and I can tell you it works.

Well who knew? I thought Brad was a home inspector, I didn’t know he was a contractor.

I should revise my statement; I said most do a poor job. I will revise it to say the contractor’s I have personally inspected behind (after they have completed their work) have done a poor job. I should not imply all do a poor job. I’ve never seen any of Brad’s work, but I’m sure he does a fine job. I do like the fact you do follow ups with your clients.

It should be eh?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers

I have been an inspector for 15 years and we started this company about 3 years ago. Yes, I am an inspector and a contractor! We don’t work on any homes I inspect and I offer my expertise on crawls when I encounter them. I love the spaces we do, you can eat lunch down there!

whoever made the water table so high or caused it to rain. duh

If it was six years old and built here in San Diego County, then it would have been built during the time when our new construction here had a 10-year warranty, so the builder would still be liable.

Is the ten year requirement for workmanship and materials or for load bearing elements only?

It’s for the house.

However, eventually everyone realized that 10 years was too long so someone (legislature? governor?) changed it back to 1 year, which is what it was when I started my business in October 2001.

Cluster F = Job security.