Why ASHI?

Only one reason RE’s hire only ASHI inspectors: these inspectors write soft, basic reports, all to please the agents, and not alarm the home buyers. In Kansas, no ASHI inspectors check appliances, or appliance connections; they check only one outlet, one switch, one window per room, etc. etc. All allowed by the new Kansas HI laws. And they do the same reports in Missouri. This is all done as to not alarm home buyers, so they will purchase the properties, and get the RE’s their commissions. ASHI also contributes to their associations.

I recently came across a pre-sale inspection done by an ASHI member engineer. The report was so basic, I could have stated the “defects” he found in three sentences. I found dozens of other defects, some of them safety related. However, his report was legal, according to state law. It was so basic that the buyer of the property had to laugh after comparing my report to his.

Here is another. An ASHI inspector found $10K worth of defects in a home inspection. He told the home owner that he could do the repairs at this price, and he felt that this was at a huge “discount”. Huge conflict of interest.

Sad the politics in everything these days. It is all about yourself; not the consumer.

If it only adds one Inspection a year it has paid its way .
I expect it will be a great investment .

I would say do it you will never be sorry,

How do you figure that? What is your profit margin on an inspection? I calculate that they need to deliver 20-30 inspections a year to be worth joining… especially when you consider the jobs you lose because you ARE an ASHI member. I hammer the homebuying public night and day reminding them to look for the ASHI logo so that they can avoid any inspector who displays it, and why. What do you think I’ve been doing over here for the past 10 years… sitting on my hands. :stuck_out_tongue: Hint: Keep Nick working for you, not against you.

Anyway, the formula is (profit margin X number of jobs they deliver) minus cost of membership minus (profit margin X number of jobs they cost you). If that number is less than zero… save your membership dues. LOL

I highly doubt homebuying public is going to turn their nose up an inspector who is a member of both InterNACHI and ASHI.

Nick,

Not true. NACHI only exist in St. Louis because of me and a few others. 99% here is ASHI and every major broker in the area only knows about ASHI. I have asked every realtor I have come across so far if they heard of my organization and the number is still 0. Love this organization but if you want a piece of the realtor marketing pie in this area you must become ASHI.

At least that is what they are telling you! Do you honestly think they want an Inspection done by Seasoned InterNachi Inspectors.

They could care less. They don’t know who we are even. This bull that ASHI inspectors right 2 page reports is simply bullcrap. I’ve seen many reports in my area (ASHI) and they come close to any report we write. The difference is little to be honest if any. Now what I do see ASHI and NACHI many inspectors simply have “Unreadable” or “hard to understand” reports or their report is simply built right out of the box for example “HIP” and it looks very basic. Sorry Dom but it does to me. With any software I have learned you have to tweek it to get the look you want. Image is everything with any business and the last thing you want to do is put out a report that looks like crap (layout wise).

Billy I actually agree with you on both points! I use Home Gauge and even though HIP is apparently easier to use I have been with HG from the beginning.

Which actually looks like crap.
As a full CMI you should be using the best Kevin.

Kevin, where is your sample report on Home Gauge?:slight_smile:

I have never given any sample report but there is 3 that you can see at Home Gauge. I would not do one either just to show how my reports are done. I will say the samples they do show are not as extensive as mine but they do a good job of showing the most important info.

Anyone can post a sample report here.

I haven’t upgraded mine in years, but do have a new Commercial One on HIP forum.

So show us a sample of your best Home Gauge Reports so we can all learn.

Bill all I know is that in CANADA when looking up Home Inspection you get Home Gauge on the first page of Goggle, HIP does not exist. Now before the attacks come out I go with what is on the first page however with the stunt YELLOW PAGES pulled on workers in BC I have pulled right out from them even though for now they still are on the first or second page of Google. They now own CANPAGES too! greedy XXXXX.

Just let me know when?

If you want to cater to Realtors in Missouri you need to give your credit card number to A$HI. I tried to get Nick to do something about it, but it fell on death ears. Nick has done some things for Missouri inspectors, but more needs to be done before he can expect NACHI to grow dramatically in Missouri.

Roy, I was an ASHI member for over 5-years and was VP of a local chapter for 3 of those years and I know for sure that membership is far above the one-inspection per year cost you stated. Without belonging to a chapter ($350) you will be responsible for all of your CEU’s out of pocket… Once you add in all of the costs, the real cost is somewhere around $2,000 a year, hopefully your costs were covered by the referrals your ASHI membership threw off.

Hands down… Nothing beats InterNACHI, nothing.

The only reason you left ASHI is you couldn’t post your bullsh!t on their message board.

LOL.

Anyway, good post Joe:

Jim,
Im in Jefferson City…108 E. High st. at the family business.