Why is everyone leaving ASHI all of a sudden. Anyone know the scoop?

22 inspectors joined InterNACHI today.

What are our and their current numbers?

Surely all Assoc’s have lost, I’m assuming we have fared better in comparison?

We’re up.

www.nachi.org/nachi-stats.htm for North American members.

Jim, I’m going to show your post to the Cohen boys. They want us to buy ASHI now, take their assets and shut them down. They think the time is now. I argue that there is nothing to buy. No approved education, no software, no course systems, no domain names, no marketing programs, no infrastructure, no textbooks, no intellectual property, and a dwindling membership. Their diploma mill logo is the inspection industry’s symbol of shame, we don’t want that. What is there to take?

Have the Cohen boys ever steered you wrong before? I think their advice is sound and if you can do it…necessary.

They’re very smart, but they’re not looking at the big picture. It is in InterNACHI’s best interest to keep ASHI barely alive, but not dead.

In a licensed state like Florida an inspector would have to be out of his mind not to belong to NACHI. ASHI… Well, no offense, but I simply couldn’t find a good reason to continue my membership. Now that I am licensed it is CMI which will set me apart from the pack… Not ASHI.

Like when the WWE bought WCW. It was more exciting when the 2 were going at it, but now has become boring since the purchase.

Monopoly?

I can’t buy into that logic. There are other smaller Orgs. to play around with. When you have the big guy on the ropes…finish him!

I would have to agree with your logic…:cool:

I think it has to do with good Bussiness Ethics. Not Boxing standard of practice. :wink:

I agree. You can’t light a match off of a bar of soap.

Sound to me like “Long live ASHI”!:roll:

Why not? You don’t compete against ASHI. Nick does.

What you are competing against are other inspectors who belong to ASHI. If they are a problem for you, now…just think how bad it could be if they were members of NACHI and had access to all of the same marketing and training resources that you have.

I agree with you. Buying ASHI and incorporating it into NACHI would be like chewing a piece of bubble gum for nutritional purposes.

Buying its name and reputation among used house salesman appears, at first glance, to be a good idea…but it would last for about two to three years, until 80% or more of them failed to renew their licenses and moved on to other jobs, as they statistically do. Those few remaining salesmen would know enough about the business to realize that it is an individual inspector and his personal level of skill…not that of a society or association…that is inspecting a house. New salesmen would see ASHI as a subsidiary of NACHI and consider them both to be much of the same thing.

The same money spent in buying a handful of air (aka “ASHI”)…strategically invested in providing additional resources to home inspectors…would provide even more tangible benefits to members and incentives to others to join. Inspectors seeking a “credential” can use their diplomas instead of their membership to impress others.

If you want to expand NACHI…do what you did to ASHI with the NAR. Give used house salesmen an alternative to playing the only game in town. Develop a competing powerhouse for new salesman to acquire real skills and real marketing power as individuals who compete against individuals…instead of all “members” existing simply for the purpose of feeding a single political action committee. Sound familiar? It would go through the same growing pains as we did when no one took us as a superior alternative to ASHI…but a decade or two from now, would probably be having the same type of message board posts as being published in this thread.

Let NAHI be the pimple on our ***. The NJ Home Inspection Advisory Committee is made up of all ASHI members, the NJ Sop is ASHI just tweaked a little, there are more members in the three NJ ASHI chapters than all of NACHI in NJ. I do have a throbbing one for the sanctimony and arrogance that ASHI brings to the table. I say CRUSH them if the opportunity is there.

When you crush ASHI, as a national organization, chapters (like the one you mentioned in NJ, and others) will continue to exist and dominate their local markets…just as they did before ASHI was a national organization.

When you talk about absorbing ASHI, remember 1 thing. About a year and a half ago ASHI made overtures to little NAHI wanting to absorb them.

NAHI ended up saying NO.

Do they still exist? And… Why?