Why is it we have to go in our underwear to test

Every other construction professional can take study materials into the testing center except for home inspectors. That’s j just plain bullshit. Why do we have to go in after being stripped searched and everyone else has books of information to reference in there allotted time. Bullshit I’m extremely pissed…

Who are “Every other construction professional”?

What exactly are we building…we visually observe…if the water is too deep get into the shallow end.

In Virginia, some trades (not sure how many) can take references into the testing center. While it certainly can be frustrating seeing everyone in the waiting room with their stacks of books they can take with them, especially when we have to be able to know about all the trades, not just specific ones, my thought process is that it made me study more and learn more as I couldn’t rely on looking up answers during the test. Being held to a higher standard isn’t always a bad thing.

1 Like

Do you carry all those “reference materials” around with you on an inspection??

1 Like

Same reason they ask questions that we havent even studied They want us to faiI so we can take it again and give them More money

1 Like

While no one could possibly know the answers to all of the questions on the test when just starting out, there are basic questions one should know the answers to prior to doing their first inspection. Having ones’ study guides available to refer to only shows that one knows how to look up the answers. In actuality that may be a good asset to have as Google will become ones’ best friend as well as belonging to the various Inspector FB groups.

1 Like

Arthur, not all tests are “open book tests”. You know this ahead of time before taking certain tests. The answer is to study and learn the material, not memorize, but learn.

Ronald, I sincerely doubt those administering the test want you to fail so they can make more money. Regardless of the test you are taking, do some research into the available study guides available and LEARN the material.
Best of luck to both of you!

1 Like

Why exactly are you having an emotional reaction to an intellectual challenge?

1 Like

You know it or you don’t , put your big boy pants on and quit worrying about what others are allowed to do.

1 Like

I did. Google on my cell phone.

Perhaps that’s a factor in your now being “retired”, huh?

1 Like

I often write reports in my underwear, so what’s the problem? :cold_face:

Who doesn’t!

I have carried copies of Code Check in my car for 15 years

1 Like

Apples to oranges.
You don’t carry them throughout the home with you to tell you what you need to look at, do you??
That is what the OP wants to do with taking the test. Carry his books on the inspection with him!

Maybe, eh?

1 Like

Part of the problem for those that have a hard time passing the test is not being prepared for the type of test they are taking; not only the material being tested. I found it extremely helpful to prepare for the test itself not just the material. The EBPHI test is scored on a scaled scoring system and has weighted questions, is designed to make you actually consider the entire question (not only the few words that “seem” important) and possible answers, there is not always a right answer but maybe a best answer.

This is not to be tricky, it’s intended to ensure you will be a well rounded inspector who pays attention to detail can make a good judgement call in the field.

There are a lot of study materials available and one should use them. I studied for the exam as much as I studied to learn the material. It paid off, I was fortunate to pass on my first test and I believe it was due to my test prep, maybe more than my knowledge of the material. Check out the EBPHI NHIE website, lots of good info about the exam as well as practice materials and practice tests, use them.

Effectively using your available resources will also help you as a new inspector.