Why so many dislikes?

Just curious why this vid would have so many dislikes for showing a failed GFCI?

Funny thing is that I don’t even know how to do a dislike, Martin.

I wouldn’t worry about the dislikes, many don’t even understand what they are disliking.

1 Like

Thanks, that means a lot to me. :slight_smile:

Never knew a GFCI could fail in such a way, but enlightening to know its possible. Leviton sent a free replacement btw lol.

1 Like

Larry, he’s talking about YouTube, not here on the forum.

They do fail. I see it all the time. That’s why manufacturers of GFCI products recommend that they be tested monthly.

So, how do you test for something like that?

Oh, thanks Steve.

It is not a good quality video. He says the GFCI trips but it doesn’t look like it has tripped in the video. He might not have had the thumbs down if he had kept the GFCI in the frame so we could actually see the GFCI trip.

Its not the about quality of the video, but what it shows. The GFCI does trip in that the button pops out (and the light goes out for that matter) BUT it still passes power.

There is another video showing just that:

1 Like

I agree, but the test/reset button would not show this mode of failure. Only a plug in tester.

1 Like

As far as why the dislikes, I would surmise that those are there because the video doesn’t offer anything by way of narrative. In most of these types of videos, the presenter talks the viewer through what they are seeing, explaining the meaning of what they are being presented with visually. Granted, the title of the video explains exactly what the problem is, and inspectors and electricians understand why it is a problem, but probably not the average layperson.

1 Like

Honestly I’ve watched the video and I struggled to find its point. As George stated the video work is pretty poor, that alone will get you several dislikes.

2 Likes

Point is obvious IMO, the bulb goes out and the GFCI trips as it should. However, its still passing current to ground which is a big no-no. Knowing what I know now I would have done it differently, but this was mainly to show a few electricians who were interested and Leviton who was kind enough to take my concern seriously sending me a replacement in the process.

I use both the test button and a Wiggy®️ To test GFCIs.

3 Likes

I’m with you George, I find this condition at least two or three times a month. The main reason for this is that the person (electrician or not) mixes up the “line” and “load” this will happen. I have found this even on new homes 2-3 times. All the receptacle down stream will be protected, but power will still be present at the control receptacle after testing the downstream receptacles. And the test button will cut power to the circuit downstream but power will still be present at the control (so ‘monthly’ testing by the homeowner is only a placebo). This is why you should always use the tester at the Control Receptacle, just on the ones downstream. Also test the “test” button, sometimes they don’t work cuz they are gummed (greased) up, especially at the kitchen.

Oh, and about the video, I would say it got the dislikes because most youtubers would have no idea what this was about. On the other hand a Dislike is just as good as a Like as far as ranking goes.

Wow, and a 6th dislike. I don’t want to make assumptions, but I think its some home inspectors who do not like this vid. Regardless I think its a great educational tool and Larry yes spot on always use the plug in tester on the control receptacle as well as the down stream.

The proper way to test a GFCI receptacle is at the Receptacle/Outlet/Device. Heressssss, LEVITON OPS Heresssss… LEVITON

And with a plug in tester in addition to the test/reset button, right?

Morning, Martin.
Hope to find you well and in good spirits today buddy.

Try your best not to be mislead. Do research and purchase good equipment.

When checking building wiring, use a ground impedance tester to verify correct wiring and ‘low equipment ground impedances.’

Personally, when testing ground impedance at receptacles/outlets/120V wall sockets, and I inspect any outlet I can test, I utilize A: EXTCT80 B: FLUKE AC 90-1000V tester for continuity, among other defects that include, but not limited to, BootLeg Ground.

EC&M says’ Use the three-lamp circuit tester as a night-light. The (3) bulb testers testers are cheap and not accurate. Limit your liability. Purchase equipment that keeps your clients, your business and yourself safe.

Hope that helped.
Regards.
Robert

Robert gives good advice. The testers he notes are well worth the money. I always considered the 3 lamp tester for for homeowners, not for inspectors.
I have the Extect CT70. I think you can get it around $200 on Amazon. (I think the CT80 is no longer made).
Good Luck!

Yes and yes, but it never hurts to show various failure mods for educational purposes.