Why to use proper Dead Front screw.

Robert you just admitted that it does. You can’t change the machine screw design. There are some that are very strange and are replaced with a regular screw.
If the machine screw thread is compromised you should not try to correct it. If someone did you need to report it.

If the homeowner wants to “blame” you for anything just get there contact information and tell them you will pass this on to your lawyer with a lawsuit for endangering your life for allowing this condition to exist (and see what they have to say about that)…

I have been in this situation several times and I told them in no uncertain terms to kiss my ***.

What the hell are you there for in the first place?
You have permission to inspect the property.
Your required to remove the cover.
The seller has a responsibility of maintaining public safety.

Don’t be a scaredy-cat, which will probably lead you to not taking the cover off because you might pop a fuse!

What are you going to do if you don’t find it and your client does (after they experienced third-degree burns from arc flash)?

As someone may have alluded to, contact the owner (required) and if they give you any crap; call the fire department and the electrical department and let them turn off the service until it gets repaired.

Take the original screw for the original panel "that was meant for the pane"l and retread it back into it’s rightful place.
In essence your are tapping the tread.
In a pinch you can use another screw IF one has to be replaced. I leave a note on the panel box and email the agent telling them AGAIN what I encountered.
they know. they saw the whole thing unfold most of the time.

I have ran into 20 percent of the brokers, real estate agents in my neck of the woods that state, hay no one takes off dead fronts.

my god!

OK Robert you can do this but please take care to keep photo’s of what you did and documentation.Taping screws is not something I will do.
I do remove the dead front panel and that is done to 99% of the panels.
But lets not open that can of worms again.

I have been there twice.
1: Once last week my with client telling me the lights are flickering in the master bedroom and outlets not working in the same branch.
Humming was coming from the panel he stated. He even suggested that he would call hydro Quebec.
I said get an electrician. A breaker sounds like it is on the way out.

2: The beginning of the year had a client call me after his bother in-law, a industrial electrician trying to run the inspection from Ontario told him to charge me with the breaker going on the hot water tank.
The funny thing was the MB the night before was talking about that very thing and how on HI did not know what to do.

I said I will be there in a heart beat to take photos. I also stated read the contract.
I had a good rough until he followed my maintenance or pre-listing inspection TO THE LETTER.
Its funny, I am sure he phoned around and asked about me. Some of the things he was told not to do by these handy men made me chuckle. I can see where I was getting roughed from.

Good advice Cam.:slight_smile:

Kevin sorry if there was a mix up…
Ever try to put in the proper screw you have in your kit into a thread that has had the wrong screw with a wide thread damage the original treading?
This is common at times. You take your time and work the tread back to accept the new screw.
Its easy buddy:-)

There was no can of worms Kevin.
Limitations that short posts provide.

I take electrical system seriously.

In the image above is my electrical PPE.
A: one full face mask with shatter proof guard and fog proof.
B: secondary Eye protection with shatter proof guard and fog proof.
My plastic non conductive suction cups for the front of the panel.

As expressed, I have had encounters. ether never open a panel again or be prepared for the event.

Way Overboard !

Overboard? Which Sailor are you talking about? :wink:

Once you have the cover off, it doesn’t matter what screw you use to put it back on (to keep anyone out of the shock hazard). Just move any conductor away from the path of the screw.

I only put 2 screws back in and leave the rest in the panel.

What they do from there is up to them.

I agree when the cover is off Cameron. That is when I watch them.

I have turned by back to talk to a client to see the agent in the panel with his bare hands handling energized wires.

The same is true for a client.
He told me of a story of being rushed to the hospital after his heart stopped from doing the same thing. Touching the SE wires.
In my case I beat him to the SE wires and told him to leave the basement or the inspection is off.

I am responsible for taking the cover off. I run the show. No one gets the upper hand.

NOTE: In Quebec it is now mandated that electricians where** full protective clothing.** That includes full face masks when opining up the front of a panel.

Question, any here been in the receiving end of a flash?

Question. Anyone think I am using over kill?

Just a couple days ago I had a panel with evidence of arcing. One of the dead front screws was a standard cabinet pull screw that had been lopped off for length. The end was not ground smooth and it was black (was responsible for the arc - sorry, no pic of the screw). In the attached pic you can see the arc flash inside the panel and the nearby black wire was wrapped with electrical tape.

So even those pesky distribution wires can cause issues :slight_smile:

I usually clear the room also when someone is watching over my shoulder when I am removing the cover I sit the cover on the floor and immediately take a wire in my bare hand and make this littlle noise with my mouth ZZZZZZZZZZ and I do a little quiver everyone clears the room.

Then I go about my inspecting business:twisted::wink:

This will teach a lot …Electrical Inspection Training Video.
Abernathy does a great job in this vid.
http://education.nachi.org/show.php?course_id=63

HA HA HA HA HA
I am definitively going to use that.

Respect electricity never fear it.
If you fear it you need to get a different job.
However, Educate yourself to be a better inspector.

Fear will get you hurt.