Why...

Anyone can guess why…

Main disconnect outside at or near meter.

Box seems crowded .

Guess what???

Ditto.

…a 15 amps breaker is protecting a 8 gauge wire?

Marcel, whereas that is not a typical installation, it is acceptable. You can oversize the current carrying conductor, but not the other way. I have seen this done for many reasons. One example would be lets say at one time there was a 240 volt dryer plug, now they did some remodel and moved the dryer to a new location and ran a new power source to it. So they took the old 8 gauge wire and converted it to a normal outlet and accordingly had to put the correct breaker on it. That’s just 1 example.

Jim :cool:

Not problem as long as the terminal is rated for an 8 AWG wire.

Why? Someone didn’t have a 220 breaker? Did someone just use the old wire for something new? Just had the wire on hand? The suspense is killing me.

3rd from bottom left looks like a double tap neutral also .

Here’s a hint…

If you mean the gas range. So what?

They used the 8 AWG to power the receptacle for the clock and control.

Happens all the time.

I got that one; now what about that red wire (8 gauge) with the marret…

It’s one leg of the unused former range circuit that has been converted to a 115 V receptacle.

No big deal abanded in place properly as Michael said Black wire used for some thing else.

I know that the circuit is safe except for the missing cover plate at the receptacle under the gas stove.

However, in my area you’re suppose to leave the 240V stove receptacle in place in case the owner/buyer decide in future to replace the gas range with an electric range.

And when you install a gas range, you’re suppose to install a plug outlet for the clock, oven motor…of the gas range. Usually, supplied from the kitchen dining area plug circuit.

P.S.: the range is also missing anti tip brackets.

I can’t speak to Canadian requirements. :wink:

I haven’t had to look at CSA C22.1 for years and when I did it was for industrial products not residential.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=905477&Ntt=905477&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

I do not think anti tip brackets are required in Canada but they should be and I always write this up
here is the easy way to use the stove plug for gas stove

Adapter.jpg

That’s only if you have a 4-wire circuit.

In Canada all are 4 wire 2 hot a grnd and a neutral .
Dryers are also 4 wire but a different plug and receptacle. Not interchangeable