Why?

Someone help me understand why so many homes are unprepared for the home inspector?

I’m not talking about unknown issues like inside the electrical panel or HVAC nearing the end of it’s useful life. I’m talking about the obvious; missing outlet covers, standing water in the crawlspace, missing downspouts, sink won’t drain, inoperable appliances/fixtures, etc.

It almost seems like they want the house to look bad.

Because like used cars, homes are often old as “AS IS”.

What you see is what you get.

So make you offer based on what you see.

The home inspection at that point is even more important so you have an opportunity to back out in case the HI finds something you did not anticipate when you made the offer to purchase.

Even more puzzling - why in my area can a purchaser only be allowed out of the contract if a greater than $1500 repair item is found and the home inspection takes place after the offer is made and contract signed?

www.MoveInCertified.com eliminates these problems.

I’m beating the drum, but no one wants to listen.

I agree. But it is a damn hard sell. Have been pushing it, talking to agents. They all think it is a great idea, but don’t think sellers will go for it.

I hear what you are saying. Just seems to be the way it works. Some homeowners are great, wanting everything in order. I’m amazed at times at the condition of an occupied home, both inspection-wise and cleanliness. Sinks full of dishes…stuff left in the shower/tub…clutter…yadda yadda…it goes on. I don’t think anyone is ignoring you. It’s just you are beating a dead horse and not a drum. :slight_smile:

Many folks especially the gross homes are losing them to the bank and they do not give a rats a s s . Makes it tough to book and such as well.

Mike,
I know that happens, but for me that isn’t always the case.

Take care man.

Just a thought :slight_smile:

You too.

It could be any number of reasons:

1. As mentioned, they are losing the house, or are selling before they lose the house, and can’t afford repairs.

2. They are relocating for work, and don’t have time to make repairs, because they have to move quickly.

3. Their work is relocating them, and they are getting some/all closing costs covered, so if they have to take some money off the final sale price after the inspection, it’s not a big deal.

4. The seller bought the house so long ago, they are selling it at a huge profit, so knocking a few bucks off at escrow to cover repairs isn’t a concern.

5. Estate sale. The seller didn’t live in the house themselves, and don’t see the point in repairing anything.

6. The seller has been there so long, they don’t even notice the problems anymore.

7. The seller finds dealing with contractors and repair men such a pain in the rear they just assume to let the next guy deals with it, and if they have to knock some money off at escrow after the home inspection, so be it.

8. They hope the buyer will just buy it anyway without asking for concessions.

9. They intended to repair everything, and just didn’t get around to it with all that goes into moving.

10. They have a special needs kid, or grandma’s in the hospital, or some aspect of life was just more important than getting around to that to-do list they have.

11. There are multiple-offers on the house. If the buyer backs out, there are already other people lined up to buy it, so why bother spending time or money fixing anything? It’s going to sell anyway.

12. House is being sold as part of a divorce. The selling couple can’t agree who will pay for repairs, so they just don’t do them.

I have experienced a few of the above in my own life when buying/selling.

Some sellers don’t want a pre-listing inspection done so they can check the “I don’t know” box on the Disclosure form. Once an issue is known, they must disclose. That can bring the initial listing price down. It’s all about Net Profit.

here’s a paraphrased conversation I recently had with an REA it turned on the light.

she asks who to call to fix the dishwasher in her home she’s selling. She doesn’t want to get beat up on the inspection because the spring is bad. I replied, will the broken dishwasher really effect your list price? She says no. I ask why not just disclose it then? she never even considered that it takes that defect off the table for the renegotiation after the buyers inspection. Then I explain the merits of the pre-list inspection. I find all the defects, you can then choose which ones you fix, and which ones you simply disclose. Then you don’t get beat up after the inspection. The few hundred $ you pay me, pays for itself almost every time.

Hope it helps. Its still an uphill battle, but once a few agents see the smooth sailing after the purchase and sale agreement and no muddied water after the inspection/re-negotiation period. They will spread the word for you.

Good one Mike.

Maybe because you can’t get out of a contract that you haven’t signed? i.e. does not exist :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe in R.I., but that is a completely false statement in every state I have purchased homes in. There is NOTHING off the negotiation table. Typically everything in the disclosure is addressed in the Purchase Agreement, but I have also reserved my right to negotiate those items “en mass” following the inspection. Sometimes “bundling” works to my advantage.

Realtor training/scamming. There is no “requirement” for this clause in the Purchase Agreement. It is inserted at the time the PA is drafted, and can be ANY number including 0. Agents have created this “custom” to assist in saving their paychecks. Same for the inspection following a signed PA. I have a few investors that will NOT sign a PA until after the inspection, so their offer is based upon true condition. Most homebuyers don’t like this method as they are spending their money without a commitment to the home being inspected, so they are wishey-washey in that respect.

Jeff, they can negotiate, but I understand that. I wrote RE-negotiate. After the offer is accepted, including disclosures, the buyer can re-open negotiations a second time after newly discovered items, this can muddy the sale process. This, generally is removed from the equation, the second negotiation for new findings.

In RI this is our process: YMMV…

1. there always initial negotiation
  2. they agree to a price
  3. sign the P&S
  4. inspection and reaction to findings (10 day window)
  5. re-negotiation for concessions, price change, repairs etc…

I think it is completely ridiculous to agree to a price BEFORE an inspection. Just goes to show whose best interest is the most important. The used house salespeople… What other item or service would you do that with? I am surprised more folks do not tell them to pound sand.

You guys must not be familiar with the sellers disclaimer
“It was like that when I bought it” covers everything