Will I need a truck to run a home inspection business?

When it stopped working after about a year.

Read through his activity history. It will become quite obvious.

1 Like

I have a car

Then find a way to strap a ladder to it if you want to be worth your salt.

2 Likes

Well…probably every man should have a ladder too…I find they’re useful for all sorts of things…getting into attics, testing smoke detectors, looking at the top of the water heater, I even have a little step ladder I use when working on my truck to reach things in the engine compartment better. To each his own…but since I already have a ladder…I figure it might be a bit thoughtless of me not to bring it when I inspect the house. But not climbing on the roof would make the inspection faster.

2 Likes

Have you even read the responses??? Take off the rose-colored glasses you’re looking through. I almost feel like this whole thread is a troll/joke by OP. There’s plenty of great info from experienced inspectors here and I think the original question has been well answered.

4 Likes

When will youse guys STOP engaging these Non-Member’s with their nonsensical questions?
If they can’t even pay for a Month-to-Month membership, just how serious can they be?
IMO, he’s a no-go, and is only wasting your time!

4 Likes

Nobody said in response what you wrote. If you are afraid of heights, or have poor balance, extremely overweight, or are clumsy… it is likely you should consider another field.

As others have mentioned, walking the roof will let you feel planar deflection, lift edges, get to places you wouldn’t be able to with a drone or pole. Traversing attics is more physically challenging than walking a roof. Both are necessities for an adequate inspection.

1 Like

Cool :sunglasses: perfect fit…!I added a roof rack to mine. However, both, the 6’ and the 17’ fit perfectly inside.

You and JJ are on to something. This guys got to be the out wishywashy person in the world or a troll. Just look at his questions completely ridiculous. He wanted to know everyone’s income in a roundabout way and I can’t believe one member actually engaged him in this conversation.

1 Like

It is okay to disagree, Martin!, but I do not see where we actually disagree here. I agree, the roof is a vital part of the dwelling, undoubtedly! and We must Inspect and Observe it’s general condition to provide the client with an understanding of what to expect from the roof. I personally put my magnifying glasses :mag: to work looking for active water leaks, may be the general condition of the shingles, best practices utilized by the roofer, did he install all proper expected flashings… is the drip edge perfectly line up with the gutter and does it clears a minimum two inches from the facia… but to fine a “planar deflection” under the shingles is not our job…! If we see something that “indicates” a planar deflection have to call it out, but I think (I may be wrong…!) that there is a moment in every inspection where we should call for “further evaluation by a roof expert” or we may be missing the point and the time to go over the rest of the house details. Any roof may look great to the inspector eyes, but any of many unexpected/unforeseen situations may pop up the very next morning…! motivated by a storm or simply by any of the materials having reached their life span the very next day after the inspection. Going onto a roof physically is not a guarantee that you will catch every possible faulty aspect of the roof system, therefore, I do not obsess about it, nor assign a higher priority over any other subsystem of the whole dwelling.

I make sure I set the proper expectations from my inspections, and I have the proper legal jargon on my contract to cover my back.

Good morning Pedro. All good points. From my perspective, I would never encourage a new inspector to bypass mounting roofs or at least inspecting from the ladders edge.

Can you perform a home inspection without mounting a roof? Of course you can. Many of us do for safety reasons on any given day.

But for me, this speaks to a larger problem; starting out with an abbreviated inspection mentality. An inspector has to have a hunger to go the mile and only after considerable experience should other methods be explored.

There are many seasoned inspectors who can walk up to a house and see the signs of roof problems immediately. This is a skill that takes time and experience to aquire. Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

Great morning! Brian…
…you are simply on target…! wisdom and time will empower the inspector…
:+1:t2:

2 Likes

Great point Brian. We live in an area that gets a lot of rainfall I can’t imagine a new inspector even considering not walking the roof. There’s too much liability in our line of work.

2 Likes

An “Extend & Climb” ladder is available in several weight classifications and heights. Collapsed it fits easily behind the passenger seat of my jeep. Also, it is very easy to carry inside to access the attic hatch. I can also put a 16 foot two section ladder (extends to 30 feet) on the roof of the jeep if needed.

2 Likes

This should work.

8 Likes

I think that’s the exact price range this guy is looking for! (now, how to attach to the car…)

3 Likes
2 Likes

I’ve owned pickup trucks my whole life and decided to switch to a station wagon, with no regrets. My flex holds all my tools including a 22’ Werner hybrid ladder and surfboards on the weekend. AWD, so not the best mileage, but very comfortable for those inspections that are more than 45 minutes away. I don’t walk clay tile roofs but I believe you are doing an incomplete inspection if you don’t get on the roof. Ladders should be the first purchase a new inspector makes.

3 Likes

I am curently in the market for a colorado with the diesel option but thats rather pricey. I use to fit a 22’ extention and 8’ and 15’ step ladders on a roof rack on a subaru legacy back when i was working construction. We have a guy at the radon mitigation company i work for who manages to get a 40’ around on a minivan.