Will I need a truck to run a home inspection business?

You need a ladder.
You don’t need a truck.

For example see:

Reach Height: 19.5 feet reach
Storage Height: 36 inches $390.49
785p

You definitely don’t want to go all in on a truck, before you even know if you’ll like inspecting for real.

A quick modification to the passenger seat: removing the headrest and putting a cover over the seat… can give you room for a 8 foot or so ladder in a Honda Insight (measure to be sure). Protect the front windshield. Or get a roof rack. All valid choices.

Home inspectors put a lot of miles on. Optimizing for fuel is a way to stay competitive, and I argue is a vehicle optimized for home inspections.

2 Likes
1 Like

Thanks. I’ve heard bad things about those telescoping ladders.

1 Like

Ha. Personally it is the only ladder I will every buy.

1 Like

This is what I’ve got and it fits well in my Camry hybrid.

Fuck a truck; not necessary, is a fuel hog, and I’m comfortable enough in my masculinity that I don’t need to compensate.

1 Like

Hi Casey. Did you mean to post a link?

You seem to have strong opinions.
And do your own research.
And be resistant to the word of others.
Hopefully that serves you well in your chosen profession.

Hi Jeff! I respect your opinion. I’m 260 pounds. What happens to these ladders? Do they just collapse all of a sudden?

I’ve heard people on this forum aren’t fans of them.

5 Likes

For the ladder? Bryce already did. That’s the one I have been using for four years.

The fact you felt the need to say that is ironic.

7 Likes

I see. Is it still good as new? Doesn’t feel like it bends too much, etc.?

Just get a ladder rack…

1 Like

I’m in that 250+ range and I don’t think they bend too much. They do flex a bit though. You want to make sure you have it at the proper angle so the weight goes down the stiles and is transferred to the ground, rather than deflecting the stiles.

It’ll bend a bit. And it is a bit awkward lifting scuttle hatches with it, but not needing a truck is a biiiig plus.

For me the only injury I’ve had was smashing my finger between rungs when collapsing the ladder. Everyone does that the first day I think.

1 Like

I love my xtend and climb. Been using them for the past 4 years. With proper maintenance, I’ve never had any failures. Mind you I’m 200, you may want the contractors series.

I still carry an extension ladder on my truck. I like to walk townhomes and two story homes, I utilize it as a marketing tool as well. Dunno, clients seem to like that I walk em.

I only use a Little Giant velocity 17’. I’m too scared of the telescoping even though they really would come in handy sometimes. Here’s a trick that I use to get into those small attic hatches in the back of a closet, I hope I’m not reinventing the wheel!
I just drop off the extension legs outside. Then I’m left with just the super light inner part, which is easy to carry upstairs and be used to push open the hatch and be maneuvered in tight spaces. If I need more height I’ll keep on the bottom extension.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for your input

Nice ladder. What size is it when it’s collapsed? What is your inspection vehicle?

I have an HHR panel too! Great car! I put a roof rack on mine to carry the big ladders.

1 Like