Williams Forsaire Top Vent Venting

Hi,
I have a Williams 50K BTU Forsaire wall unit (top vent) furnace and I have a venting dilemma. I would like to vent this unit out the back wall of the room vs. through the roof if possible.
What would be the issue (if any) to take the 6" oval pipe from the top of the unit and terminate it into a 6" round T fitting (90 degree angle) and just shoot it out the wall with a wall vent cap?

This would take less than 2 feet of flue to accomplish and would look aesthetically much better than punching a hole in the roof about 18" from the gutter and having it stick straight up like a sore thumb.
With the 2’ above anything in a 10’ radius rule would mean I would need an eyesore of a vent, sticking about 6’ above the roof.
The other issue is that this on a 1 story addition and the outside wall of the main house (2 story) is 8 feet from where the furnace is going so the vent going straight up for 6 feet will stick the vent at eye level of the upstairs window.
There MUST be a better way?!

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Note: Placement of the furnace in the room in relation to the main house is non-negotiable.
Thank you!
Elm

The issue could be loss of life. :frowning:

Seek the services of a qualified HVAC professional with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. :smiley:

OK,
Besides that, what are my options?

Have you considered a new furnace (possible a direct vent) that meets your needs better?

Elm you have to go by the manufactures directives. http://www.kennspenns.com/heating/wil~forsaire~dv.html

This give you the manufactures installation instructions…or just google williams forsaire venting…seek and yee shall find.

That would have been ideal but this was a unit that was only 6 moths old that my brother gave me.

There may be a direct vent conversion kit available.
Call Williams on Monday to find out.

Here is a PDF link to your furnace guide ELM.
http://www.wfc-fc.com/pdf/Top_Vent_Forsaire_IOM.pdf

http://www.kennspenns.com/heating/wil~forsaire~dv.html Hello Russell and Elm. This link gives instructions for the direct vent unit. I expect the top vent unit referred to in the post is NOT the same, and needs a proper chimney. Can it be moved to another wall?

Well that’s my dilemma… Most of the addition are windows, doors or a fireplace. This is really the only spot in the room without having to do some extensive re-work otherwise…

Can anyone tell me what the accepted guidelines are for furnace and flue venting? Seems like following “the manual” from the manufacturer varies widely from vendor to vendor for the same type of furnace.

From a pure mechanics of flame and venting standpoint, how high does a flue stack REALLY need to be on something like this?
Manufacturers can publish anything and usually err on the side of caution to CYI- I would like to know from a combustion and venting engineering perspective.
Suggestions?
Elm

Elm …

My PDF is straight from Williams, so look again.

Follow my advice.!