Wind mit gable ends

The problem is they think they are doing them correctly. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink. This has become abundantly obvious on this message board. There are many here who have done nothing but help(yourself included), there is a large group that have stopped trying to help. This is all because a few, insult and attack. My mentor and friend used to say it succinctly, you can not fix stupid. You can ignore it though, I am still working on that one. :smiley:

John is right. The insurance surveys should be completed in accordance with industry standards as taught in the approved courses. Roof measurements should be done as exact as possible and a sketch included within the report. The little things can make a difference of 25% to the insured’s premium.

Those little things can and do make a difference. An inspection I did last week had the exact same issue and those little areas changed the home from a hip to a non hip. I thought I was correct in counting it as non hip and posted the question here. John confirmed that it was considered non hip.

To help some of you with the issue, try not to think of it as a “gable”. Think of it as hip or non-hip.

IMO: non-hip

I couldn’t agree more.

If you are not going to treat them as a serious and [FONT=Verdana]exacting, almost scientific analysis of the structure, DO NOT DO THEM![/FONT]

Call in an inspector that does take them seriously and understands the nature of the insurance industry.

I keep hearing the same complaint from members on the board: “The insurance companies are just trying to rip people off and take away their credits!”
In some cases that is true. But, often as not, many more people are getting credits they DO NOT QUALIFY FOR!

The real rip-off of the HOMEOWNER occurs when they get caught. Their insurance goes up, gets cancelled, often the mortgage company gets notified of the price increase before the Homeowner. Their mortgage goes up before they can even dispute the charges.
On top of that, they need to PAY for a new Wind Mit.

Homeowners and their agents that have gone through what I described have learned that saving a couple a hundred a year with an incorrect WM is not worth the aggravation.

Do them right, or don’t do them.