Wind Mit Opening Protection ?

How would you handle the following Commercial Condo Wind Mit Inspection.

Two story CBS, wood truss, 4 unit building in FBC area pre-March 1, 2002. Property manager (PM) asks for Wind Mit on the Building only, not individual units ( so the address would be something like 1700-1701-1702-1703 Wildflower Ct Anywhere, FL 33333). One unit owner has approved TAS shutters on all glazed openings and all unglazed openings. How would you mark off Item # 9 Opening Protection?
Note-[FONT=Wingdings]à[/FONT] remember you are doing the entire building or the policy for the association’s part of the coverage for that building. Thanks!

Unless the ENTIRE building is covered with approved Impact rated items, then you should check box J.

**Let me throw in an additional question------what is the call if your inspecting just the unit that is fully shuttered ? **

Protected if you have proof.

Yeah, but it shouldn’t be. The whole point of protecting the envelope is to help prevent roof lift. If the roof is contiguous the protection on the individual units window and door openings are not likely to have much of an effect. Same thing goes for the unit owner that doesn’t install his… they don’t provide much protection stored in a stack in the utility closet.

I agree completely.

Are their fire walls prutruding thru the roof to separate the units or is it a continuous roof? Think, will one unit’s pressure change have a possible effect on other units…building envelop.

Are there fire walls prutruding thru the roof separating the units? All depends on if the pressure changing of one unit could have an effect on the building envelop.

No fire walls protruding thru roof.

After taking a recent course I asked this question and was informed that you should indicate that the individual unit is protected but that it is in a multi family building and let the underwriter make the determination whether credits are given.

Not sure exactly when fire walls became code in condo units, but they have been around for quite awhile. Most condo units have firewalls extending up through attic to the underside of roof deck, and roof trusses that are independant of each unit are the norm. You cannot effectively have a firewall if wood members run through the wall. At any rate, if you in fact have no firewalls, then i would think that you would have to consider the entire building envelope and not just the individual unit.