Wind Mit Referral Fee

I think DMI pays inspectors $50, or they used to. We had one of their inspectors interview with us

DMI will be able to raise prices higher after he buys the market.

Any idea when the above document was publicly posted?

I moved it to InterNACHI’s site for safe keeping: http://www.nachi.org/documents2012/wind-mit-kick-back-declaratory-statement-florida.pdf

Steve, you should alert everyone at tomorrow night’s meeting in Jacksonville: http://fl.nachi.org/1stcoast/event1026.html

You all can’t do nothing about it EXCEPT… Charge more and kickback more. Win Win for all but the client :frowning:

No. I saw the document for the first time today.

EDIT: Maybe 7/22/13? Don Meyler Inspections, Inc.; a licensed home inspector or licensed contractor would not violate the provisions of § 468.8319 by offering a fee to insurers for referral of wind mitigation clients; the phrase “broker or agent therfor,” used in § 468.8319 (1)(h), does not apply to insurance agents and does not prohibit an inspector from offering the insurance agent a referral fee; and advertisements of the proposed incentive/ referral fee program are not prohibited by Ch. 468, Part XV, Florida Statutes., Florida Administrative Register

Can we get a consensus here on if the group thinks that this ruling is ethical and acceptable practice for professional inspectors?

I think it’s unethical and do not partake in kickbacks

We will never, ever do it.

Not a conflict?
I have had several instances where because of the wind mitigation inspection and lack of discounts, the client could not qualify for the mortgage. I am sure I remember something to the effect of, kickbacks cannot be dependent on the outcome of the inspection.

I guess I’ll have to fight this one too.

Meanwhile, a responses to the latest version of the SoP is forthcoming…

DBPR should be ashamed. The person who wrote the kickback declaratory statement really had to reach for a theory to support his position.

No problem.

To all inspectors and of course “Agents” watching:

Magnum Inspections Inc. will be offering a $100.00 referral fee for all wind mitigation inspections performed within one block of my office. :slight_smile:

they got bad press for bad reinspections, maybe the sun sentinel should follow up on they’re kickback practices

Look out you may get nailed on that one and then keep your word :slight_smile:

I never stated what the inspection fee would be! :wink:

That is the key :slight_smile:

Just curious: Would this kickback scheme by DMI and ruling by DBPR allowing this unethical practice be a violation of the NACHI Code of Ethics?

Specifically:

*The International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) promotes a high standard of professionalism, business ethics and inspection procedures. InterNACHI members subscribe to the following Code of Ethics in the course of their business.
*Duty to the Public
The InterNACHI member shall abide by the Code of Ethics and substantially follow the InterNACHI Standards of Practice.
The InterNACHI member shall not engage in any practices that could be damaging to the public or bring discredit to the home inspection industry.
**The InterNACHI member shall be fair, honest, impartial, and act in good faith in dealing with the public.

The InterNACHI member shall not:
        have any disclosed or undisclosed conflict of interest with the client;
        accept or offer any disclosed or undisclosed commissions, rebates, profits, or other benefit from real estate agents, brokers, or any third parties having financial interest in the sale of the property; or
        offer or provide any disclosed or undisclosed financial compensation directly or indirectly to any real estate agent, real estate broker, or real estate company for referrals or for inclusion on lists of preferred and/or affiliated inspectors or inspection companies.*

While the last two sentences above specifically name real estate agents and brokers and do not specifically name insurance agents or brokers, can someone explain why there should be a difference between providing kickbacks to real estate agents as opposed to providing kickbacks to insurance agents.

*The InterNACHI member shall always act in the interests of the client unless doing so violates a law, statute, or this Code of Ethics.

Would providing a kickback to an insurance agent be in the best interest of the client? I am assuming that the NACHI inspector would have to raise his fee to the client in order to give a kickback to an insurance agent.

• Duty to the Profession and to InterNACHI

The InterNACHI member shall not engage in any act or practice that could be deemed damaging, seditious or destructive to InterNACHI, fellow InterNACHI members, InterNACHI employees, leadership or directors. Accusations of a member acting or deemed in violation of such rules shall trigger a review by the Ethics Committee for possible sanctions and/or expulsion from InterNACHI.
    The InterNACHI member shall abide by InterNACHI’s current membership requirements.
    The InterNACHI member shall abide by InterNACHI’s current message board rules.*

I would speculate that large companies like DMI with multi million dollar contracts with insurance companies could provide higher dollar value kickbacks to the insurance industry than just the simple small shop NACHI member. If that is the case, then would that act or practice be deemed damaging or destructive to fellow NACHI members?

From International Code of Ethics for Home Inspectors - InterNACHI http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm#ixzz2coA9vhNE

The nachi code of ethics pertains to a home inspection only…

So, the new offer…$125 to any insurance agent for any insurance inspection…fee to be determined. :mrgreen: