Wind Mitigation Inspections on 2012 Year Built

I just read through all of this. Has anyone answered the OP? I’m curious as well.

To bring this back to the original question, I have told my clients to “go up the food chain” with regards to their insurance companies. So far, none have had to get a wind mit as the fact that they meet the code gave them enough discounts with roof nailing and opening protection that the inspection was not warranted.

Steve, I dont take offence. Your comments make HI look like there are whining. It doesnt affect me as business is great. Every week we get sent report of out home inspections to reveiw. Many veteran home inspectors reports are equally as bad as contractors that work as HI reports. Thats the fact. Both are good for our business but both are bad for the industry. FYI, contractor have always been in the Wind Mit business.

now that is something we totally agree on. can we also agree that if licensed home inspectors were granted contractor licenses through a grandfathering provision so that Dbpr could generate more revenue, licenced contractors would likely whine about it?

Contractor bashing is absolutely counter productive. Namely, because the consumer recognizes that they want the best trained inspector to perform their inspection. Additional licenses, engineering degrees, architects, Master Inspector… The list goes on and on. These Professional Credentials are recognized by the inspection buying public as to the qualifications and experience of the inspector.

Bashing others for their credentials only lower YOUR standing in the eyes of the reader.
Rule one of successful marketing is to focus on what YOU offer.
If HI’s want to be respected as professionals, we need to act like professionals.

We have recommended the same but it goes back to the same thing (actually spoke with a few insurance companies today).

1. Roof shape
  2. Roof to wall attachment
  3. Opening protection (is it there on-site)

That is why most require it. There are a couple that dont.

I will post this again on here as I have in the past, the OIR has designed the wind mitigation form to recognize the strength of the 94 SFBC, 01 FBC. If a house was built to code, the roof covering, roof deck, and roof to wall selections get nulled out and an overall giant credit is given with or without a wind mitigation form (for example you could select roof does not meet, staples, and toe nail and it would not matter, once you select built to SFBC/FBC on question 1, the next 3 questions are moot). The insured should not need a mitigation form to get these credits as all the agent needs to do to validate the answer to question 1 is a permit application date or property appraiser doc depending on year. To obtain hip roof, SWR, and impact discounts, a mitigation form is needed.

Jay,

As always you always say it like it really is. Please stop the bickering it makes us all look ridiculous. Get all the licenses, credentials and experience you can and market yourself accordingly and rise above all the haters.

As for the thread: We like Preston tell our clients to ask their agent/underwriter what they need in order to get the best insurance for the best price and then serve the customer accordingly.

Happy Holidays to all — that includes home inspector, contractors, conspectors (sic), mold assessors, insurance adjusters, santa clause etc ( you get the picture) :slight_smile:

Thanks Preston. That’s what I was looking for.

Define “on-site”! :mrgreen:

All storm protection products must be stored on the insured property and be ready for deployment (attachment hardware installed), to qualify for any credits.

And, that verification is done how? :wink:

Do you not use a CAMERA?

Yes, and a picture of the shutters neatly stacked up against the wall, certainly proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that those shutters are A) for that home, and B) actually cover all openings.

…Even if you know that the shutters actually belong to the next door neighbor…but you didn’t hear that from me. :mrgreen:

Well, if you get $200 for a WM, then I guess you have time to see if all the shutters fit. lol

For $600…I’ll put them on! :slight_smile:

I was doing a home inspection for a client and the home was a foreclosure. The hurricane shutters were gone. The house across the street was the same model. He asked me if he “borrowed” the neighbors shutters, could I give him the credit on the form. I told him he could do whatever he liked…and referred him to another inspector… :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It is better than seeing them in the back of a pickup truck when you arrive…

Contractors went through grandfathering at one time too. If a HI at that time was able to be grandfathered in more power to them. There is no easy solution to grandfathering. At least after that you know there needs to be some qualification to acquiring a license.

I did not read every comment, but in case it has not been stated. Insurance companies do not offer automatic credits based on year built for SWR, Shape of roof , or roof to wall attachments as far as I know ( some require verification of opening protection even if it is required) Some give a global discount based on the age of the home that does not change even with a wind mit ( edison for example). Some give the minum amount based on the age of the home and do not ask for a wind mit even if it could potentially help their client. I have done plenty of new construction that is still installing clips. I have come across roofers that will not do SWR, and for good reason. Many new construction are adding gables that do not meet the 10% requirement. I provide a complimentary wind mit with all new construction because I dont want to charge if they dont need it,but have it just in case. It is the wild west with Insurance and we cant and should not make assumptions at this point because they all have a different set of rules. Do not even get me started on 4-points. Just had to do one on a 2018 construction.