WIND MITIGATION shingle attachment?

**After hundreds and hundreds of W/M done if noit thousand’s. First W/M send back for a question? **Insurance company wanted a picture of the shingle attachment device. They told my client that he needs a picture with a ruler showing how the shingles are attached. How about that. Shinners are not sufficient???

What say you?

Who requested the picture? Company or agent? What company?

Sounds to me like they are just looking for spacing photos and a nail length photo… did you include those?

Are you confusing “shingle attachment” with “roof deck attachment”?

May not be him confusing it, maybe just the Home owner or agent.

Not confuse. Not the deck attachment (nails). Here is the company name: Security First Insurance 1-877-33-9992.

They want Shingles nail attachment. The shingles in this house particular were attached with staples X type. Nothing coming out of the OSB decking.:roll: Not sure if the decking was 3/4 or 5/8 it could have been. This was done 8 weeks ago. If the staples are 3/4 inch and not driven all the way (gun not set right) then they will be flush…:frowning: A heck of a dilema. I will call the agent.

My guess is the agent/underwriter is very confused.

When were the shingles replaced last?

House built in 1999.

Tell them that is not required by the form and if they do not accept your properly filled out wind mit then by Florida law they have to send and pay someone else to do the inspection.

I had a copy of this once but have no idea where it is. If anyone has the paper stating this it would do us all a lot of good if you would please post it.

Good Luck

Each time an inspector puts up with this type of crap it makes it harder on the next guy.
This is not directed to you John but for the rest out there. Never do anything that is not on the form without being paid extra and told in advance. If this simple rule was followed we would NEVER have to deal with this type of problem. And stop the 10 page wind mit crap while you are at it :).

[quote=“jacaron, post:6, topic:58994”]

Not confuse. Not the deck attachment (nails). Here is the company name: Security First Insurance 1-877-33-9992.

They want Shingles nail attachment. The shingles in this house particular were attached with staples X type. Nothing coming out of the OSB decking.:roll: Not sure if the decking was 3/4 or 5/8 it could have been. This was done 8 weeks ago. If the staples are 3/4 inch and not driven all the way (gun not set right) then they will be flush…:frowning: A heck of a dilema. I will call the agent./quote

Staples as of March 1st, 2002 are no longer an accepted means of attaching shingles. The attachment must be a minimum 12 gauge shank nail with a minimum 3/8" diameter head, of a length to penetrate through the roofing materials and a minimum of 3/4" into the roof sheathing. Where the roof sheathing is less than 3/4" thick, the fasteners shall penetrate the sheathing.

From the provided information it would appear that the roof covering would not meet the requirement of the 2001 building code and the underwritter has picked up on that

*“Staples as of March 1st, 2002 are no longer an accepted means of attaching shingles. The attachment must be a minimum 12 gauge shank nail with a minimum 3/8” diameter head, of a length to penetrate through the roofing materials and a minimum of 3/4" into the roof sheathing. Where the roof sheathing is less than 3/4" thick, the fasteners shall penetrate the sheathing.

From the provided information it would appear that the roof covering would not meet the requirement of the 2001 building code and the underwritter has picked up on that "*

House Built in 1999

Amend the report
Predominent Roof Covering
(B) does not meet the minimum requirment