Wind Mits in other places

In the aftermath of hurricane Sandy…I am wondering if the idea of Wind Mitigations is going to spread to other coastal states in the near future. I am surprised that Florida is the only state currently doing these.

I have actually heard of them requesting them before in NJ. Also I remember when the started requiring hurricane clips on the rafters in New Jersey, we would all say “why is that needed we dont live in floridia”

I think Texas and Louisiana have them.

Ironic, nightmare client with house on the water here in Jensen. Argued with us, his agent, underwriting…He wanted to get away with 1/4 inch plywood held on with window screen attachments as mounts.
Million dollar home was required to have shutters. He thought the whole thing was a scam.

His primary home was on the beach somewhere in NJ. I wonder how he feels about those shutters now?

I know it was recent history, but the natural fact, it was the flooding that caused the damage. Wind mits would not have changed that.

Not that I know of. Do you have any links to this ?

We put hurricane clips on most of the homes up here. They are on every RTM so they can be transported to location. It is not a code requirement but we have had some fairly heavy winds.

The whole focus on wind mitigation is to encourage homeowners to harden their homes.

I don’t know how similar/dissimilar these are to Florida Wind Mitigations…

Texas:

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/wind/index.html

Louisiana:

http://gagnetinspections.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Regulation_94_Code_Compliance_Discount.94180728.pdf

http://www.ldi.state.la.us/docs/CommissionersOffice/Legal/Bulletins/Bul09-01_cur_TheCertificationClau.pdf

http://learningcenter.statefarm.com/mitigation_survey.pdf

The Carolinas and NJ were working on programs also.

Jeffrey I have a guy in Arkansas that does them and there’s one other guy outside Florida but I can’t remember where!

The whole focus on wind mitigation is to generate more work for contractors and as a byproduct, encourage homeowners to harden their homes.

Fixed it for ya!:mrgreen:

I had heard that several coastal areas were thinking of adopting this scam…err, worthwhile program.

So hardening a home from storms is a scam? I submit that not and filing a claim is. I am personally tired of paying for the high risk areas. They are subsidized by the rest of the insured

Yes, it is.
The home was built to the building code in place at the time. The homeowner should not be forced, by means of legalized extortion, to increase the strength of their home for an event, which may never happen.

The insurance premium is based on the rebuild cost. You are not subsidizing anything.

And since this program is the greatest things since sliced bread, how come only 3%, if I remember correctly, have opted to have their homes retro-fitted?

Maybe a plan like this is needed:
http://mpbonline.org/News/article/fema_offering_20_million_in_grants_to_make_coastal_homes_hurricane_resistan

I am not sure how hardening a home is a scam. The code or lack there of when constructed does nothing for how it will hold up during a storm. Insurance risk is more than replacement cost. If you have a $200k home with no current hurricane protection features it has a higher risk during a storm than a $500k home with all hurricane protection features. The risk of loss during a storm on the first is large compared to the risk on the second could be close to zero (could be). Which one requires the bigger payout? 100% of $200k or 0% of $500k.

You are assuming that the storm is going to hit the lower priced home. You are also going to assume that the home without hurricane protection is going to be destroyed. In fact, you are assuming facts not in evidence.

Did you go down and see the homes after Andrew hit? I did. You know what I saw? Besides the dead bodies, homes that were not built to the code as the roof decks were not nailed properly. Nails everywhere. It is why it is one of my pet peeves, the improper nailing of roof decking and the audacity of Citizens, and others, to demand, that an improper installation be used to verify a nailing pattern, which quite frankly, is none of their business.

The wind mitigation inspection program is a scam. You and everyone else knows it. It does nothing but attempt to replace the revenue that contractors thought they were going to get when everyone jumped at the chance to retrofit their homes.

What happened is that the general public isn’t as dumb as the insurance companies and contractors thought. 90% of the homes in this state were designed to withstand a category three hurricane. How many cat 4 and above storms have we had in the last 50 years?

Eric you obviously know nothing of statistics and insurance liability. Nobody if forced to buy insurance, you are forced to protect property you do not own yet in the interest of the owner. Pay off your house and you do not need insurance.
Reality is, banks, insurance companies and re-insurance companies have to make money or they will not do business, not unlike you or me. If there is so much money to be made in the insurance market, why is there not companies flocking to Florida to write policies?

Building code is developed and followed or not followed. Insurance companies cut to the chase and base on probability and statistics. Including the probability it was not done correctly. The wind mit program was developed through the University of Florida, so I guess those engineers that study damage after every storm know nothing. I certainly do not believe the systems are perfect but as Russ pointed out many ***** but do little to make it better.

Please keep bashing insurance companies, contractors, bankers and anyone else you can point at, as this profession falls apart everyone will know who to blame.

For the record the wind mit program was a way for the politicians to appease the citizens for rising prices. It works in some cases and not in others.

Eric you obviously know nothing of statistics and insurance liability.

I am well aware of so-called “statistics”. The same statistics that state most shark attacks occur in 6-9 feet of water and close to shore. Statistics are designed to prove one side of an argument while overlooking the other.

Nobody is forced to buy insurance, you are forced to protect property you do not own yet in the interest of the owner. Pay off your house and you do not need insurance.

I am going to put the next response in bold lettering so others can see just how asinine the statement above is.

You are required to carry homeowners insurance, by a clause in your mortgage, on a home, you do not own, then, after you own the home, you may decide to not have the coverage.
It would be like me paying for your errors and omission insurance.

Reality is, banks, insurance companies and re-insurance companies have to make money or they will not do business, not unlike you or me. If there is so much money to be made in the insurance market, why is there not companies flocking to Florida to write policies?

Because of mismanagement, improper allocation of funds, golden parachutes, etc… The insurance companies pissed away the earnings and when it came time to pay the tab, sorry, no money left for you. Just like the head honchos at Citizens taking 50K vacations, catered lunches, and all of the perks.

Building code is developed and followed or not followed. Insurance companies cut to the chase and base on probability and statistics. Including the probability it was not done correctly. The wind mit program was developed through the University of Florida, so I guess those engineers that study damage after every storm know nothing. I certainly do not believe the systems are perfect but as Russ pointed out many ***** but do little to make it better.

Again, probability and statistics can be manipulated in order to make things seem worse than they really are. My parents home was built in 1948. Had wooden shutters. In the 60+ years of existence, care to know how much damage was done to that home during a hurricane? $0.00. Nada. Insurance companies got those stats?

Please keep bashing insurance companies, contractors, bankers and anyone else you can point at, as this profession falls apart everyone will know who to blame.

By all means, blame me…I have broad shoulders and can carry the load… especially one as flimsy as this.

For the record the wind mit program was a way for the politicians to appease the citizens for rising prices. It works in some cases and not in others.

According to recent articles and several inspectors reports…it isn’t working at all.

The bigger problem is more likely insurance fraud. Both by the insurance companies and homeowners. I have seen that firsthand and I am certain you have as well.

In my life, I have come to realize certain things. One of those is, always, “follow the money”. Once you do that, the picture clears up very quickly.

If there is money to be made, why are companies not flocking to Florida to write policies? Like you said follow the money. Why do several companies have offices but refuse to write policies? Do they make more money than?

If you can afford to turn down business, then the answer to your question is self evident.