Wiring for gas range at service panel

Please see the photo. That top breaker is a 40 amp 2 pole breaker for the gas range. Obviously the black wire is feeding the breaker. Why isn’t the red wire (just to the right and capped) feeding the breaker too? 100 amp service…90 year old home.

The ignitor and controls of the gas range are 120 volts so the red wire is not needed. Someone likely changed the receptacle on the other end to covert the 120/240 volt circuit to a 120 volt circuit. The circuit breaker should also be changed to a 15 or 20 amp depending on the receptacle type.

3 Likes

Thank you for your help.

Hope you didn’t miss the grounds and neutrals sharing the same terminal.

Got a question for you Gadget…this is what the InterNACHI library narrative says regarding that…

Ground and neutral wires in the service panel terminated on the same bus bar. While improper, this is not usually a condition of major concern.

What do you think?

1 Like

99.95% of panels both old and brand new in my area are wired this way. The local AHJ’s don’t care. I also ignore it for that reason.

1 Like

Read that again carefully.
IMO, it’s a non-issue.
What IS at issue is the termination of a ground & neutral UNDER THE SAME LUG… which is NOT allowed!

4 Likes

After looking at Jeffrey Jonas’s comment, who is right?

NEC/Code says I am.

1 Like

Got it. I just don’t understand why some choose to not put it in the report?

Ignoring it doesn’t make it acceptable.

1 Like

I will never understand that either. IMO, either it’s right, or it’s not!

Jeffrey, do you have a non-code referencing report narrative for that situation?

Did you mean, “On the same lug”?

If so, it is wrong.

If you meant what you typed, there is no problem…

As a matter of fact, there is no InterNACHI library narrative that mentions (recently updated too) this issue “same lug”…just the “…same bus bar” comment.

Unless I’m just completely missing it. I use their library because obviously, it’s really good…just don’t see this particular issue in there…

Thanks alot

1 Like

The original comment is incorrect. In the service panel the EGC’s and neutrals can terminate on the same bus, just not in the same holes as shown in your photo.

Check the amperage, 40 amps seems like a lot for strictly gas range.

408.41 Grounded Conductor Terminations. Each grounded conductor shall terminate within the panelboard in an individual terminal that is not also used for another conductor.

2 Likes

You beat me to it, Sir Roy!

1 Like