Wiring under a floor joist (literally)

So what’s your thought here? Besides stellar workmanship?

Assuming it can’t be worked free with no damage…

2022-08-16_144813

2 Likes

I would be willing to bet a bottle jack and a few pumps would be all that is required to free it…but would you write it up?

Luckily I had the clients onsite and discussed it with the them. I wrote in my report to monitor as there were no signs of failure just poor workmanship. With recommendations to have an electrician check it out.

It had power, no signs of failure, sheathing was fully intact, was functioning, and was not overheating.

1 Like

Besides being wrong by “modern standards”, you can’t see what you can’t see. I would definitely write it up. Expansion, contraction, bounce etc. could cause abrasive damage. Let them decide if they want to do anything.

2 Likes

Pinch point - no go

2 Likes

And how exactly is that accomplished by your client??

2 Likes

Wife: Yep, it’s still pinched.
Husband: Good, let’s go take a nap. BTW, did you smell smoke?
Wife: Maybe shrugs and walks away

6 Likes

Why wouldn’t you?
Don’t overthink these issues, let them call an electrician or “whoever” to figure it out.
No “monitoring” necessary.

3 Likes

Agree with Dom, it would be a very easy fix for an electrician to just use a junction box and make a quick splice.

1 Like

Agreed with prior suggestion: a bottle jack and a jerk (maybe the electrician, maybe the action) could free that wire. Then clamp it to prevent it happening again.

Probably only getting about 80 volts squeezing through. The lights were no doubt dimmer, right?

1 Like

4 Likes

The outer sheathing appears to be bulged out, which would indicate compression.

Any pinched electrical wires can cause shorting, and an electrical fire. I have seen the results of that unfortunate outcome a few times.

Whoever created that graphic needs to look up “Octagon” in a dictionary.
2022-08-16_144813

3 Likes

Circuit cable Prone to mechanical damage.
Poor overall clearance.
Where cables run through or along metallic studs, joists, sheathing or cladding, ensure that the cables are:
a. Protected from mechanical damage both during and after installation
b. Protected by an insulation insert secured to the opening in the stud