Women in the field

Originally Posted By: chorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Craig,

does your wife pack your lunch for you every day? ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Women can be equally as knowledgable and usually

better at relaying findings.

I also carry my own 28' ladder and I do walk roofs.

Thank goodness that male nurse got off his shift before
I got my flue shot!!

Carla

Originally Posted By: rmoore2

Hey, icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Karyn…Susan…join NACHI… really…!!! :I have a women working for me too!!! wouldn’t know what to do without her… RM…

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Someone once said…“A woman’s place is in the kitchen”. Yep, you can find them under the sink checking out the dishwasher connection!

It's still a sad fact that when a woman breaks through the glass ceiling of a male dominated profession, it is often only because she has displayed extraordinary abilities over and above those expected of us good old boys. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the average competence level of women inspectors was higher than the average of the "externally plumbed".

(I gotta show the wife this post...I may have just earned brownie points!)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: rpaul

I am building my home inspection business and getting my wife involved too. She is also going to college for accounting so she can also do the books. She graduates in May and on the roof with me in June.

Seriously, she is starting to go on inspections with me too. I show her how to do inspections. Who knows she might be able do a couple of inspections on her own soon. I am also trying to encourage some of my kids to also get involved, then I can send them out into other areas of the USA. Then they can build thier own. So not just the lady but kids too. WOW Raise a family on and into a HOME INSPECTORS! Yeah!

Side track a little, got thinking about Mom getting involved now the family. Just Kid ding!

Rick

Hey Richard,

great post!

Originally Posted By: dbowers

At last count, I’ve trained over 458 new home inspectors getting into our profession. This includes builders, architects, engineers, remodelers, electricians, framers, HVAC contractors, etc.

Two of the sharpest I ever trained were ladies. One had been a graphic artist (very fine eye for detail), and one was a PhD who had grown up in a construction family and wanted out of corporate america and back to what she loved. She kicked the guys butts in her class.

If either one had been within 300 miles of my area, I would have hired them in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: mtonini

I joined NACHI two years ago and currently own my own home inspection company in New Albany, IN. My ASHI certification #212520 and I couldn’t be happier with my position. I average 10 inspections a week most of the year and about 7 per week through the winter months.

I have one employee that answers my calls and sets up my appointments. I would say that she has the power to create or loose more business for me than anyone other person, so I put someone in that position that would do all they can do to help us succeed. "She" is very pleasant, helpful, responsible and reliable. We Love helping people make an informed decision! I would say that three inspections a day pushes me a bit much but I could do 2 everyday for the rest of my life. At 36, I have never had a more satisfying career.

I agree that we don't see many woman in the field and in our area if the Buyer says "she" in reference to the home inspector, every one knows it's me. I think I get business because I am a woman and as far as I can tell I have never lost business because I am a woman. Although, I have had to convince a few men that were skeptical because "A Woman was going to do the inspection?"
I do believe that the world has progressed to the point that if you are good at what you do and you enjoy what you do - Customer's will find you, use you and recommend you - No Matter If You are Male or Female.

Originally Posted By: jmurray

mtonini wrote:
I joined NACHI two years ago and currently own my own home inspection company in New Albany, IN. My ASHI certification #212520 and I couldn't be happier with my position. I average 10 inspections a week most of the year and about 7 per week through the winter months.

I have one employee that answers my calls and sets up my appointments. I would say that she has the power to create or loose more business for me than anyone other person, so I put someone in that position that would do all they can do to help us succeed. "She" is very pleasant, helpful, responsible and reliable. We Love helping people make an informed decision! I would say that three inspections a day pushes me a bit much but I could do 2 everyday for the rest of my life. At 36, I have never had a more satisfying career.

I agree that we don't see many woman in the field and in our area if the Buyer says "she" in reference to the home inspector, every one knows it's me. I think I get business because I am a woman and as far as I can tell I have never lost business because I am a woman. Although, I have had to convince a few men that were skeptical because "A Woman was going to do the inspection?"
I do believe that the world has progressed to the point that if you are good at what you do and you enjoy what you do - Customer's will find you, use you and recommend you - No Matter If You are Male or Female.

Nice concise post for your first one! Welcome!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

John,

Is mtonini really you?

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Mike

Originally Posted By: Laura Line

I am a female inspector here in the Baltimore area, and I will say, at least 3 times a day I hear, “I wasn’t expecting you” and you should see the look on their faces. The realtors reply that I am the first female they have seen in … years in business.

Last Friday I had an inspection in what is called Federal Hill, nothing more than an updated rowhome, the owner/which happens to be a realtor shows up and shakes the contractors hand that the buyer brought along with her, (to make sure I was doing my job!!) and I am the one with the book notating items, my shirt says company name clear as day and the contractor spoke up and said “she’s the inspector, I am just a friend of the buyer”, I then showed him a leak that was present from upstairs to the basement, he told me it was the gutters, downspouts, etc… I showed him it was coming from the sink above through the wall, he left shortly there after. At the end of the inspection, I asked the contractor, so how did I do? and he replied “you did a great job” I notated more than he found, and let the buyer know that the house is not considered a 2 bedroom she was being charged for since there is no closet present in the “2nd bedroom”. Prices in Baltimore are crazy enough and letting her know that I am sure she will either have a closet present for walk-through or call the appraisor back and request a review.

Not sure how many other female inspectors are in this area.
I have repeat customers who request me and recommend me as well. Being a female makes it tougher, but as long as you do your job and do it well, a few laughs a day is worth it.

Originally Posted By: Nancy Jones

I am planning to join the Home Inspection business and NACHI within the next 2 years. It has been very reassuring reading this thread and finding out there are several successful women in the field. It has also been nice seeing the supportive comments from the men. Acceptance of women as inspectors has been one of my main concerns.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

This job isn’t physically demanding. It requires patience and attention to detail. Two items most women have in abundance.

Being personable helps also.

And in all honesty, I'd rather work with/talk to a woman inspector than some of the Grizzly Adams, monosyllabic former plumbers/electricians/HVAC/etc's who decided they didn't want to "work hard" anymore and thought Home Inspection looked easy. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

No insult intended to Grizzly Adams, monosyllabics, plumbers/electricians/HVAC's or etc's! (Or even people who don't wanna "work hard" anymore!)

Nice post Jeff!

![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Curious to know what % of agents are women too? I would guess 80%. That would be another advantage to being a woman inspector. Now whether Joe Homebuyer would be comfortable having a woman explain his home components to him or not? That’s another story. My wife, for example, knows more about working on cars than I do. That has been quite a humbling experience for me.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Richard,

I know the feeling. My wife worked for a plumbing contractor for several years when we were dating.

Needless to say, I go to her when I have a plumbing question! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Plumbing contractor. That’s a great resource for you Jeff.

My wife is a CPA so that comes in handy too.

--
Richard W Washington
www.rwhomeinspections.com