Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The attached image is of termite damaged wood as well as the mud or shelter tube that are used by the termites to protect themselves from the atmosphere. termites can cause major damage to structural components of a residential dwelling if not properly identified and treated

Research & Writing Assignment:

I chose to write about the minimum distances that must be met in order to keep untreated wood from coming in to contact with soil the floor joists must be 18" and structural girder must be 12 " If the aformentioned clearences can not be met then pressure treated wood should be used

Termites. They’re known for feeding on wood products while causing havoc for home owners. On new construction it is vital to incorporate WDO deterrents before they become attracted to your house. On existing homes, by doing proper research and finding the appropriate treatment is key.

Knowing your area is key to a home inspector. Working in warmer vs colder climates make a big difference for WDO. Personally living in a colder climate, we don’t have the issues of termites but do have Pine Beatle issues in our forests.

photo is curtsey of activerain.com

This photo is of of a fascia board of an outbuilding and termites have worked their way into the wood. Painting and sealing was not kept up on and allowed easy access into the wood. Trusses and rafters will need to be thoroughly inspected and may need more professional help.

proper pre treating and sealing of home can resist and deter pest from entering a home through the soils and above through penetrations. keeping up on maintenance such as painting, caulking, and trimming back trees and vegetation away from home can help keep pest away.

While preforming a WDI Inspection in East Texas, there was substantial damage and activity of Subterranean Termites within the walls of the hall bathroom. As the photo shows, termites have traveled from a bathtub drain to the the top sill plate.

I have refreshed my memory (as all inspectors are required to do) with the procedures of treating for Wood Destroying Insects. Being licensed through TDA it is always important to stay up with new procedures and/or equipment in treating for Wood Destroying Insects.

This is a photo from my lanai ceiling from 2016 in Sarasota. This at the end of a termite swarm and about an hour before this was taken, the ceiling and walls had hundreds on them. Called a local pest control company and about 3 weeks later, our place was fumingated/tented.

I just read about underground bait stations for termites. A good thing to use to prevent potential future infestations. It is also a good solutions as it it safer when pets or kids might be involved, as they do not have access to the trap.

I once inspected a home that had some type of WDI damaged. I cut away a small piece of damp wood just to see how damp it was and it was pretty damp. After inspecting the wood I noticed a distinct pattern in the wood, but could not determine what was causing the damage. I immediately notified a professional pest control company of my findings and they determined the cause of damage was from termites. The home was treated and the damage was repaired.

I live in a townhome and have notice a lot of little creepy looking silver bugs known as silverfish in my home. I notified the complex front office and they came out the next day and exterminated my home and have not seen any since.

Checking for wood destroying insects in an attached garage. The poker is an old cross country ski pole made of bamboo with a metal tip. I can hear the solid sound the wood makes and feel if the tip sinks into the wood and sticks. The sill feels and sounds good but the garage is full with the owners belongings and getting to the sill was difficult. The foundation has a floating floor, more susceptible to termite attacks.

Termite Baits are capsules that contain food with slow acting poison. These capsules surround the infested structure and are monitored for activity. With activity, the poison is added so the termites can bring the poison food back to the colony and hopefully kill them off. This is a slow process but is much more environmentally safe than a soil treatment.

During my inspection I found an area around the garage where the soil was higher than the wood siding. It had metal between the garage floor/wall. This make for a place where termites can enter unseen. I recommend that metal be removed and ground taken away from the foundation.

When inspecting a garage you should look closely at all parts, walls, foundation, siding, trusses, sheathing, and roof covering. No alteration on any kind should be present in the trusses. You should never have plywood at connecting points. If plywood is found a structural engineer should be consulted.

This is a large section of termite damage that I found during an inspection. This house had extensive damage due to untreated termites. I found multiple spots in the crawlspace that had new and old damage. I always hate finding termite damage and having to relay that to my client.

Read the article on termite control in the house. This article has large amount of useful information including the signs of infestation and treatment. Termites cause millions of dollars in damage and can be hard to find and get rid of effectively.

Corner pop on the foundation is very common. Other than usually a cosmetic issue it can allow insect intrusion if it goes deep enough below grade. I recommend that this area be repaired to prevent moisture and insect intrusion from entering the foundation or wall

Chimney flashing I learned that different flashing each play an important role in protecting where the roof and the chimney transition. Its very important that those flashings are properly installed so as not to allow moisture to get under roofing and damage material and structure.