Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Inspection and writing assignment

Wood members that are close to, or in direct contact with the soil, provide the ideal environment, moisture and food source for termites. Termite attacks can cause deterioration, wood decay and then eventual loss of support to a building.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Research and Writing Assignment:

When inspecting the exterior for wood destroying organisms, look for any wood that is in direct contact with the ground. Check along the foundation for any wood stakes, old boards, or any cellulose based materials, as they are a good food source for termites. Check for planter boxes, porches, siding behind porch slabs, exterior door frames, and look for firewood that may be piled closely to the structure.

This photo shows where temrtites were eating the wood. Termites are a huge problem and should be dealt with accordingly. Termites love to eat wood that is built with our houses. They are a pest and can only be taken care of professionaly.

I am writing this essay on termites. This is one major problem a home owner can have. Termites cause problems and millions of dollars in damages every single year. Its amazing they can live off wood. Trmites are a problem

Moisture entry at crawlspace foundations is commonly found in conjunction with the discovery of termite infestations. The attached photo shows a crawlspace with an active termite infestation and damaged floor framing members. A gutter downspout at the structure’s rear right corner had been discharging roof runoff into the crawlspace.

TERMITE BAITS

Treatment of termites by the use of termite bait stations is the most common form of treatment in today’s pest control environment. Bait station treatment may take longer to clear the infestation, however it is oftentimes less intrusive than a liquid treatment. Installation of bait stations generally requires routine servicing, and consumers should weigh the cost-benefit of bait station treatment versus a more traditional liquid treatment.

I attached an image of a gutter that appears to be leaking. This will add add excessive moisture to the ground near the foundation and to the structure itself . Since wood destroying organisms are attraked to moist areas , this should be fix to help prevent an infestation .

I read an article in the internachi library entitled " Termite Control In The Home " This article was informative for a home owner to learn what to look for in there home for signs of wood destroying insects and also what to expect for a wood destroying organism inspection.

In this section I learned about the different insects that can cause damage to structures. I learned what is needed to look for and to identify the presence or evidence of past insect damage to a structure that I am inspecting.

Carpenter ants can be a very destructive insect. It is easy to spot the damage if you have been properly trained and know what you are looking for when you are in the process of doing the inspection on a structure.

In the photograph there is signs of termite mud tub that extends down past the joist.You will also see signs of termite damage to the sub floor board,this board is damaged beyond repair it will need to be replaced.All of the damage seems to be old I couldn’t find any live insects. The home owner said he has been treating with over the counter treatments for several years.

The differences between termites and carpenter ants;the carpenter ant has a constricted waist and when they have wings the front ones are larger than the rear wings. The termite has a body that is not constricted and when they have wings the front and rear wings are the same size.

Michael Buszko here, just testing out the system and introducing myself. Thanks!

Peter Blank here. I’m introducing myself and beginning the Wood-Destroying Organism Inspection Course. Here goes…

This may seem stupid but can someone explain to me why 25% is written as .0025 in this equation?

How much wettable powder pesticide containing 40% active ingredient should be added to a 100-gallon tank if the recommended treatment is 0.25% concentrate by weight?

Pounds of pesticide to use = (0.0025 x 100 gallons x 8.34) /.40 = 5.2 lbs. pesticide needed

Shouldn’t it be written as .25 which is the direct translation of 25%? Which would greatly change the answer to the formula. Is it because you divide the 25% by the total capacity of the tank? That works for 100 gallons, but not 50 gallons, or 200 gallons.

Just trying to wrap my head around this. I feel as some information is missing. Thanks!