Wording

I did an inspection today and came across this panel. I was hesitant to open because of missing breakers and excessive rust observed through wire knock outs. I did not open because of safety reasons. Know I am having difficulty explaining. Please help.

Rgards
Gary

I didn’t open the electrical panel to inspect it because I felt it was unsafe for me to open based on (fill in the blank)

[quote=nbhi]
I did an inspection today and came across this panel. I was hesitant to open because of missing breakers and excessive rust observed through wire knock outs. I did not open because of safety reasons. Know I am having difficulty explaining. Please help.

Rgards
Gary quote]
Safety first is always number one on the list. I listen to the hair on the back of my neck .
If I do not like it I will not do it period.
Now on the other side I am an electrician ( retired ) and most likely would have opened the panel .
Even then I do not open the primary side as a Home inspector .
I do know many HIs who do open the primary side ( I disagree with HIs doing this )
How would I write . (Safety concern with the panel recommend immediate further evaluation by qualified person ).
No discusion with any one other then it just does not look safe to me and it need to be fixed by a qualified person .
Do not get into discusion in what does and what does not .
Just repeat it does not look safe to me.
Hope this helps
Roy Cooke

Roy

Thanks for the info. I would normally open up the panel, but my inspection partner said no it looks unsafe. By the way that partner is my wife, she the boss.

Rgards

Gary

Glad to hear that I have my wife with me on all inspections and I too am smart enough to listen most times.
Usually when I do not, I wish I had listened. Glad for both of us .
Roy Cooke

Honestly, I see no problem. It’s not like the cover or box is rusted through (unless I am missing something). The cover is simply rusted.

Was the box to the point of structural failure because of the rust? If so then you have a point.

BTW- What missing breakers? They are all there. No open (exposed) slots.

edit- Upon closer inspection, is that an open slot lower middle right side?
Even then it is only one ½" space. No real danger in removing the cover because of this.

Pictures do not tell the whole story . Do you walk a roof if you feel it is unsafe ( I know I do not ) Then why should a person open a panel if they feel it is not safe .
Are you an electrician if so you see things differently then a non electrician.
I do not like to make decisions that could get a person in trouble especially from a picture.
Gary this is just the type of question I said you not to get in a discusion with . Just repeat what I said .
Roy Cooke

Yes, I am an electrical contractor.
And I am not making a decision, I am giving an opinion. That’s all.

Gary, Roy is obviously the only one who know about this stuff so I suggest you listen to him. Please use his exact words.

The decision to open the panel or not is made by the one who is actually on site. In this case two pairs of eyes assessed the situation and decided to “error” on the side of personal safety. They could see the entire area and make an informed decision. You Speedy Petey can not tell much from the pic that was given.

Totally uncalled for. Drop the ATTITUDE.

YES SIR!!

sorry, I couldn’t find a little smiley doing a salute.

Which is fine.
Like I said, all I did was give an opinon. And tried a little humor, which I see was lost in translation.

Speedy
Normally I have no problem opening panels. Actually this is the first on I didnt. They also where using wood screws to secure the face plate on. That made me concern also. Thanks again for all who responed. All is well

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.
I hope my input did not set you off like it did the others.
Take care. :smiley:

Sorry if you thought I was upset not in the least love your post’s just sorry you are not one of the NACHI family . Disagrement should always makes a person look closer ( sorry my spell check is down hope I do OK)
Roy Cooke

There are several electric panels that we never open here at my company: Federal Pacific Stab-Lok, Zinsco, and early 1980s Sylvania/Zinsco. I simply inform my Clients that there are many known problems with them, including breakers simply falling out when the cover is removed. I’m quite diligent in following up on inspections, especially inspections where I had recommend further evaluation by licensed electricians, licensed plumbers, licensed roofing contractors, etc. The electricians who have provided such further evaluation for my Clients have always confirmed my statements for those three panels, so I just keep on keeping on.