Work on the side

Originally Posted By: ttrier
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi, I am new to the home inspection business and had a question regarding working on the side. I have had a handyman business for a while now and wanted to know what the rules are concerning repairing things I may find in a home I inspected. Things like building a deck, replacing windows, repairing steps, or installing a fence. Am I allowed to do this work? Do I have to wait for them to ask me or can I volunteer my services? Do I have to stay away from this customer all together?

Originally Posted By: wpedley

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

BPedley

Inspecting for the unexpected

Originally Posted By: cmccann

From the Code of Ethics.

"The NACHI inspector shall not perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs or associated services to structure on which the inspector or inspector's company has prepared a home inspection report, for a period of 12 months. This provision shall not include services to components and/or systems which are not included in the NACHI standards of practice."

Check the SOP's for what you can and what you can not do.

--
NACHI MAB!

Tim,

You had better sit down and read the SOP and ETHICS if you are a member of NACHI.

--
BPedley

Originally Posted By: rwills

Tim,

Ironically, We recently amended the SOP regarding this issue. Here is a thread regarding it: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=7581&start=0 Also you can read the full SOP by clicking on “Standards of Practice” over on the left of the screen. Bob W.

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: cmccann

William, Chill dude. That’s how things get blown out of proportion around here. Go easy, it’s his 1st or 2nd post he’s a newbie, so was I, so were you. icon_cool.gif

NACHI MAB!

Chuck,

Have a nice night.

--
BPedley

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi Tim,

There is some debate as to whether you can fix a home you inspected. Check with your organization and Illinois SOP to be sure.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: cradan

225 ILCS 441, a.k.a 68 Ill Adm. Code 1410

Section 1410.260:

"As set forth in Section 15-10(20) of the Act, a home inspector may provide services to a client in addition to a home inspection. The home inspector shall first, however, provide a written notice of the services intended and how such services may conflict with the home inspection services provided. Thereafter, the described additional services may only be performed upon securing the written consent of the client. The written notice of services and written consent shall not be contained in the written agreement with a client, but must be provided in a separate document."

Bottom line...in accordance with your governing law (Illinois), it's allowed, Tim, PERIOD. If you do it, make sure you comply with the above. And if you are a NACHI member, carefully check your NACHI SOP first, please.
Not to take anything away from your ability to make a living, but in my not so humble opinion, it's generally a bad idea...

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: cradan

Oh…and most importantly…WELCOME ABOARD!

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Timothy I have got a lot of work from Realtors to do repairs on homes they have bought but not any I have inspected. If you have joined the board of Realtors in your area its a good place to market all your skills. You may not be there Inspector but you are getting there business and are establishing a relationship with them and there will be a day that you get a inspection call from them.