Worst Basement Wall Shoving I Have Seen

Looked at this 100 year old basement today. The basement wall in this picture was bowed out 12". I think that green tape is the only thing holding it together!!! I would have bet money that wall would have failed long before now. She called some basement repair companies and one of them refused to give her a bid. He had no Idea how to fix it. Another foundation company bid $28,000 to add some vertical steel beams and cut out the floor to install a drain. If they would have cut out the floor the person doing the cutting better have good life insurance. This old house had new additions on crawl spaces completely surrounding the old section of house. Jacking up the house is not an option and no access for heavy equipment to remove the old wall. I am in the process of designing a concrete buttress wall, basically a basement within a basement. I checked the wall with my rebar detector, but no steel found. Looking through the open cracks I can see some field stones and used brick thrown into the old concrete mix.

5 Likes

If you cannot get material out, how are you going to get it in? What a nightmare.

Would be nice if you could put in a steel girder and steel support posts to hold up the floor while material is removed and replaced. Best of luck with this “adventure” :smile:

2 Likes

House movers will lift it with no problem, and then you can drive a skid steer under it. Been there, done that. If the house is worth it. :grinning:

7 Likes

On the other side of that wall is another crawl space and another floor system. What a nightmare!

1 Like

Anything is possible, I worked for a contractor in the early 80s and helped lift this sucker and put it on a new foundation, O, and it was winter on the ocean.

That would be Diaz Construction Company out of Avon MA.

6 Likes

That would have been amazing to see.

2 Likes

The project lasted a year. I have some stories to tell about that place. It was a fun job, LOL. The Narraganset Hotel in Kennebunkport ME. Look it up. :grinning:

3 Likes

We did that when I did the construction management for Habitat for Humanity several times. And, moved some of the houses elsewhere, Scott. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

just needs a little flex seal…

2 Likes

I remember that Diaz from years ago. Haven’t seen them around in awhile.

1 Like

Those carbon fiber slats should work, too…

2 Likes

indeed ! :sweat_smile: :joy:

1 Like

Line Pump with a 2" hose, or 5 gallon buckets.
Crappy way to earn a living but jobs like that usually pay pretty darn good since no one wants to do it… If you can’t excavate the other side, then the old wall would have to stay. OR, jack up the home just enough to support it with temporary bracing and brake up the old wall into small enough pieces to use 5 gallon buckets to get it out. As I said, crappy way to get a paycheck. Been there done that…

3 Likes

‘Back in the day’ farmers would use a bale elevator to move hay into the attic of barns. DO NOT use a bale elevator to move concrete out of a basement! Buckets are safer. Experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They still do, At least they do where I am. :grinning:

4 Likes

Can’t they add steel reinforcement and pour a new concrete wall/foundation on the inside of that wall? It doesn’t seem insurmountable.

That’s what I designed for the homeowner.