Would you cut it

Would you cut the ties and test the automatic opener?

door.JPG

door.JPG

Winterized/forclosed property?

I would not cut them unless I could replace them.

I find locks and pins but no wire ties yet.

The other day I had a 3/4" drill bit that was drilled into the door and broke off…and I do carry zip ties so I would cut it and then replace them.

It looks like the way the zip ties are positioned that the door could be raised about 2 feet before they caught the next roller.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f11/34362d1263614627t-would-you-cut-door.jpg

prolly

What if the door falls off the track, and someone did this to prevent it. You could just note findings, and get on with the inspection. Did they hire you to fix things ?

I wouldn’t, for the same reason our SOP says we don’t turn on valves that are turned off. The best way I’ve found for me is to highlight these items when going through the contract signing with the client. For example," I don’t check lawn sprinklers, alarm systems, hot tubs, I don’t turn on valves that are turned off, I don’t light pilot lights that are off, so on & so forth""" That way they were aware of these things in case they didn’t retain they info when they sped red the contract…

Don’t know for an absolute fact why they were installed in the first place, so no, I would not remove them and defer the door and opener.

Yes I would Gary, and I do about twice a week.

I have new ones in my truck to put back on.

yes.

Only after a thorough inspection of the door hardware, springs, and track brackets etc…
One more reason to inspect the door before engaging the opener.
Those ties could do some damage if overlooked. :slight_smile:

I cut it and operated the door.

Only if it can be left in the condition it was found in.

No way , people do not secure a garage door for no reason, I had one a couple weeks ago that had a 2x4 nailed on the header and the opener was unplugged so I just reported it as such.

Yes.

That is why the overhead door should be inspected as a whole before any operation is attempted. You never know what these homeowners are going to do.
They don’t have loggical reasoning to their actions. :slight_smile:

if by myself - no, if Realtor present and gives permission - yes

What if it is not plugged in? Do you plug it in and try to operate it? Or, do you refer? There must be a reason why it is not plugged in, just the same reason as why a pilot light is off.

most of the reo’s Isee are unpluged, due to the fact they been empty for so long. pilots off for the same…i do not light pilots however I will try the door once only if looks like its ok…my 2cents;-)

I’d cut it if the home were vacant. And I have plugged in garage door openers. In this case it is apparent that it was done to secure the door, and not because of a defect. A garage door and a pilot light are not the same thing.

Of course if the home were occupied I wouldn’t, and I would write it up that way.