Would you show your business insurance to a client?

I agree with James. If a potential customer asks me to prove that I am insured they can call someone else.

What does my insurance has to do with the client, do you ask your doctor to show you his insurance before you has him/her check you out?

If a customer is that determined to see my proof of insurance he might be that determined to sue me. I don’t want to find out.

Let’s go miami heat!!! :basketball::fire::fire::basketball::fire::basketball::fire:

I tell people of course I do, but you should make sure your real estate agent has insurance, which is much more important.

Then I tell them to GoogleReal Estate Lawsuits” to see why they really need to make sure their agent is fully insured.

Usually get “Wow…I never thought of that”…:wink:

That make sence… Thank you

Yes because we r the one who is protecting the home buyers and not the real estate agent, agent can hide anything from a house to sell the house, we reveals all the problems that a house may have

I’ve never had an issue with that. As I explain when someone asks if I carry insurance … Yes I do. Then if they want a copy, I usually move over to … Be happy to provide it with the final copy of our report.

Our basic fee is $1,750 OR $1.50 psf whichever is more. What kinda sf you guys got on the house? Thats where they usually hang up.

Dale that is classic. How you doing my friend?

I don’t have any problems with showing my insurance. It helps get more customers!

If I’m on my way to a new construction inspection or a commercial inspection… I’ll make sure I have a copy of my GL with me. Not uncommon for them to want to see that… After all, it’s possible for us to damage a building while inspecting it… however uncommon. Or the fear of your ladder falling onto a car, it happens.

Of course, if they are difficult or you get a bad vibe… refer it out :slight_smile: At the end of the day, if you fall through a ceiling, onto a desk… breaking that as well, it’s not going to be your GL fixing the damaged items that they will be worried about, they will likely be calling and asking if their insurance is valid.

Maybe ask for a copy of theirs :slight_smile:

Recently, a local inspector inadvertently left the water running upstairs in a bathtub for over an hour. The resulting flood caused the collapse of nearly 1000 square feet of ceiling drywall and damaged flooring in over 2500 square feet of downstairs living areas.

The owners of the residence sued the potential buyers for damages as this was their inspector. Had the inspector not been insured, the potential buyers would have been liable for damages to the residence. I am told the damages were in the range of $40,000

I believe it’s completely reasonable for clients to request a copy of my binder prior to contracting my services.

You can save some time by multitasking but I refuse to leave anything run while I go off to look at something else. This includes kitchen range/oven, clothes washing machine, faucets, I don’t even let the dishwasher run while inspecting the exterior.

As far as insurance, I always have a copy with me but have never been asked to present it. When callers ask, I tell them that my province requires all licensed inspectors to carry insurance. If they specifically ask about E&O I tell them that I am not an insurance company and do not warranty any component in the home. They also immediately qualify for my enhanced pricing structure.

I reply that here in Texas all inspectors are required to maintain insurance in order to keep their license.

If you don’t carry workers comp and get hurt at a home the home owners may be liable, it basically is a good thing for all parties involved.

I think it fair to show them your certificate of insurance but they don’t need to see the policy.

Just because its required some will let a policy lapse

Nope, my insurance is my information, I don’t even advertise it. I know some of them are going through a checklist, but on the chance they are not and instead are the lawsuit happy type, they aren’t the type of clients I want. I get that question so rarely that I don’t see it as a loss of business. I have plenty of buisness to fill up any void.

Inspectors often see the client as an interviewer for the job. I believe it goes both ways, I am selling myself but they are convincing me I want their business at the same time. They just don’t know they are being evaluated. :wink:

Decide what your policy is and live with it happily.

I think you should. If you will show them a business insurance you can get their approval because they know that it is safe to do business with you.

Do you have a business insurance? How much is the rate?

If anyone wants proof of insurance, I’m more than happy to show them…