Would you write this up?

Nicely done Joe. :smiley:

Your point is taken.

I think what others are trying to explain to you is that…as an inspector…what the client does (or does not do) with the information that you provide is none of your business. For you to anticipate, in advance, what he may or may not think is the best thing to do, as you compose a description of a defect, will hasten you toward your next new career.

FWIW, the fix would easily exceed 4 c-notes here… Eng. letter $250+, Framing repair $6-900 (site eval, leg-work to eng and the actual repair) D/Wall repair $3-500 for a small area, paint etc. And… if there is movement, the costs can skyrocket in a finished home. I recently ran across one of these and could see the corners @ ceiling/wall showing signs of stress on either side of the hallway where the chord had been altered. I knew the PE or contractor coming behind would be picking up this as well. I think that deal was over but the cryin’. Not everyone will react this way, when properly explained. Some… not so simple.

The load and forces on a truss are much different than a cut/stack. With enough alteration, it’s possible to have failure on truss system even with a considerable number of partitions under them.

Having said that, I agree the “fix” is easy in many cases. The problem is, the home is transferring hands, our clients may not want any liability that has the attachment of “Structural Defect” along with it. I don’t care how “minor” a repair is to a foundation or a structural aspect… they can easily sayI would not have bought the home had I knew

IMO, the first pic is a significant # of chords clipped. As different patterns of trusses can have compression or tension on them ( reasonable expl. here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss#Design_of_members) It’s my job to point out that an engineered framing member has been incorrectly altered. I may also point out that in my locality, the Truss Engineer of Record may design a “fix” or alternatively a SE will have to do so.

Whether it’s one or 3 chords cut, it’s a defect.

No. I would demand that the seller do that.

And so would I Joe. It is an obvious defect and the responsibility of the seller to repair or compensate the buyer to do so. :slight_smile:

I’ve had to repair cut trusses with the repair designed by a SE and what they had me do seemed like severe overkill. I don’t know whether it actually was overkill, but I’m not an engineer. I don’t really trust contractors I haven’t worked with. I’d recommend an engineer.

The cost is not my concern when it’s a structural issue unless it’s very straightforward. The owner shouldn’t have done it, shouldn’t have hired a contractor who did it, or when they bought the home, their inspector should have caught it, or they should have hired an inspector.