WTF Picture of the Day

1 Like

Oh yes, that is the water dispenser to mix with your vodka while showering!

1 Like

3 Likes

Inspection yesterday, attic rafters pulling away from ridge board, and no rafter ties, only a couple collar ties. The joists are installed between the rafters, and they dont even connect to each other over the wall.
Home had solar panels installed a couple years ago, I wonder if the weight could be contributing? Was also hard to see if there was any ridge sag since they block the view.

3 Likes

Might not be the static weight of the panels, rather than dynamic weight of the roofers and solar installers…

1 Like

Maybe I should have posted this in a different topic, because I am trying to figure out if maybe there was an attempted repair made. The purlins may have been added since the home was built to address the issue, but based on the appearance of the lumber, it looks the same timeframe.
I dont know if purlins would help prevent rafter spread, but I doubt it. It doesnt look like they are even attached to the horizontal 2x4.
I called it a ridge board, because it isnt supported at the ends, but there are vertical supports at the purlins, which is what makes me wonder if they were added after the fact.
Also some deflection

It’s possible the toenail separation from the ridge board to the rafters is entirely caused by the attempt to support the “ridge board” vertically.

If it’s really a ridge board, it is a compression element, that has no need for any vertical strength. Any weight on one rafter is resisted by the opposing rafter.

If it was designed as a structural ridge, then the rafters would best be hanging from it, and here they’re not.

I inspected such a building with this exact issue. And unfortunately my inspection report led to not solving the problem but retrofitting the ridge to be structural (adding a 4x8 the length of the roof, and thus retroactively redesigning the roof, gravity to the ground). Thus the load shifted from the walls to the center of the roof.

So in short, I think if you look carefully enough you’ll find evidence of a construction mistake AND an attempt to cover it over incorrectly.

Biggest issue is the lack of any collar or rafter tie. It is very odd that the ceiling joists only span from the exterior wall to the center wall, and do not connect with each other, or with the rafters. At least 25% of the attic was like this, I think they were connected further down, but it was inaccessible.
So regardless, there is a concern with rafter spread and wall displacement. Just wasnt sure how much purlins would help with that

Purlins do not prevent rafter spread: they reduce roof joist span.
There still has to be a tension element, and your home’s ceiling joists look they are not it.

There has to be a bottom tension element, or there will be wall spread. The tension element need not be wood, need not be solid, need not support any compression. It could be steel cable and work better’n what you got:

1 Like

Correct. (I think you mean sitting on top of?) Or at least have brackets to attach. The end of the board was not framed as a ridge beam at construction

Charging by the nail Larry and no discounts on missed targets. :joy:

From the same house…it was a doozy. You can smell the crawlspace from the photos
Last pic is a bathtub

4 Likes

View from over the edge…

3 Likes

Eeww. If HI’s had the ability to condemn houses…

2 Likes

I love the washing machine drain hose. I nominate it for the Hall of Shame. The fact that the loop double traps the pipe makes it all the more remarkable.

1 Like

Right? That hose is holding about 2’ of water :man_facepalming:

1 Like

She might be a little hard to see. Found her under a water meter lid in Tupelo Mississippi and she was as fat as a gumball.

4 Likes

A long time ago…

a-

2 Likes

Could not resist (from Reddit):

1 Like