WTF Picture of the Day

And attic (if you consider that “indoors”).

5 Likes

As long as the garage is not below an occupiable space. The rules are quite tedious, lol.

And there are some allowances for the exhaust not to discharge above the roof line. That 90 degree elbow is also not recommended but allowed. The question is how far apart are the homes?

Best information I could find is here.

https://www.epa.gov/radon/radon-standards-practice#current

Scroll down to here

Page 19 :smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

Great information, Brian. Thank you for sharing!
You’re right about the exception in the garage. The rules are tedious and yet necessary. The only problem with the 90 is that it is facing directly at a window that is 8 feet away. Most systems that I have seen do have some type of bend, I document if the pipe is more than 90 degrees, (no candy canes allowed, lol).

2 Likes

Also as you stated in an earlier post, the termination point should be above the roof line.

radon mitigation termination point above roof line - Google Search

1 Like

[quote=“Julie Erck, CPI, CMI, post:1042, topic:204049, full:true, username:jerck” The rules are tedious and yet necessary.
[/quote]

Tedious, yes. Necessary, ? Based on the look of the house there were probably people living in it for 40+ years before the “system” was installed and I’d be willing to bet no one died of radon caused illness. I’m not sure where you are located but in most places testing/mitigation isn’t even required.

The original recommendations of the epa were to mitigate above 0.4 but settled on 4.0 because…

I get your concern about blasting potentially toxic air at the neighbor’s window. That’s kind of bs. And I would probably mention it if it came up at an inspection.

Realistically there isn’t much that can be done about it at least not around here.

1 Like

James, radon can cause cancer. I believe it affects people differently. I lost a dear friend to lung cancer due to radon exposure, (he lived in Boulder, Co).
I was told the people living in the adjacent house to the exhaust have been sick for a while.They will be talking to the neighbor to correct the issue.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thank you @jerck , I had not been aware of that (my area does not have radon soil, and the fans I’ve seen are apparently all installed incorrectly). Apparently it’s OK in Canada, but not in the USA to have those fans indoors. The argument for the American rule is apparently in case the exit pipe leaks, to avoid concentrating the gas indoors.

1 Like

Yep, you are right Bryce. It makes sense when given thought to how they work. It’s great that you don’t have to be concerned with radon.

It is an easy fix, TBH. add piping to extend to above the roof with properly installed supports. Of course the report would only recommend correction and not specifically how.

Bottom of concrete sump pit was broken out and a large void had developed under the basement concrete slab. Good pictures of the void were hard to get. But I would guesstimate it was approx. 2 feet in some directions from the pit.

4 Likes

Yes it’s an easy fix my point is that in most places there is no legal impetus to correct the situation or compel correction.

This is strong enough… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

True!

Julie Erck, CMI
Empowered Home Inspections, LLC

303-501-5621

1 Like

This was well thought out… NOT

7 Likes

bad roof design…

4 Likes

2 Likes