www.FireDoorInspector.org

Door closing speed

Door latching speed

Backcheck

All three are settings on a commercial closer whether ADA or not.
Latching speed would be the beholder on the Fire safety part of it.

Door closing speed to meet ADA requirements

Opening speed force is different than the closing force of the closer.

:):smiley:

Yes. Closing speed as well as door weight contribute to closing pressure.

Nick, Door closers are usually classified in class 1-6, which is then matched in the design stage by the hardware consultant to make sure the closer is strong enough for the weight of the door.

The classes range from 3, 5, 8, 11, 14 # pressure measured 30" from the hinge.

So the weight of the door is really errelevent when the closer is sized for the weight.
It will only close as fast as the valve setting allows it to.
It is all about hydraulics dear Watson.:mrgreen::wink:

Great info. Marcel. As far as the sidecar goes, lets wait till spring!!!

Considering the temperatures we have been getting, you might be right.;):):smiley:

NFPA 80 is adopted under NFPA 101 (Life Safety Code) as a referenced publication. According to NFPA 101: “The documents or portions thereof listed in this chapter (Chapter 2: Referenced Publications) are referenced within this code and shall be considered part of the requirements of this document.”
Therefore, for jurisdictions that have adopted NFPA 101, NFPA 80 does have the force of law when the Authority Having Jurisdiction conducts a life safety code inspection unless the jurisdiction has determined that the requirements for NFPA 80 is excluded from that inspection.

That’s awesome that you were able to find that. I do have a copy of the life safety code at the office. I’m curious now to read now the entire list of referenced documents.

Here is the Adoption Map of LifeSafety 101
http://www.nfpa.org/assets/images/NFPA101AdoptionMap.gif

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/images/NFPA101AdoptionMap.gif

Cool, now any of the blue state people have a whole new market. The fire door inspections sounds like a good door opener (no pun intended) for other work. Puts you in their place of business every single year attempt the sale of other services.

Read it again James. :roll:

Such individuals most likely will have five years of industry experience, and/or equivalent education of the subject

Wow, I never thought I’d be happy that South Dakota was a blue state!

I work in a healthcare facility as a Director, and let me tell you, we have our Maintenance staff them on a Quartely basis. Yes it is correct starting this year all Fire Doors have to be inspected on a yearly basis for the AHJ to look at when they come into your building. This is a great oppertunity for all of us to add to our services.

I wonder if these fire door inspections are going to require the inspector to operate the fire alarm system to confirm that the hold open devices release?

I agree Mark, it is all Builders hardware associated with Fire Doors.
I don’t think some realize all the Hardware knowledge that is required to confirm that a Fire Door is functioning properly or will perform like it was intended to.
There are hundreds of different type of Fire door Manufacturers and unbelievable descriptions of Builders Hardware that make them all function to meet the NFPA requirements.

I would hope that this course is intended as Continued Education.

Marcel :):smiley:

This link may help some.

Talk to people already in the bussiness of inspecting Fire Doors. See what the requirements are.

http://www.fdis1.com/

The answer is NO you do not have to activate the fire alarm system to do these inspections.

Section 5.2.6 of the NFPA says different.:slight_smile:

http://fm.colorado.edu/firesafety/documents/FireDoorMaintenance2007.pdf

Marcel, I respectfully disagree.
Looking at the standards of practice established for fire door inspections:

16.5 Limitations
It is not the purpose of this standard to establish inspection procedures to determine the fire rating or the degree of protection provided by a fire door or surrounding wall, determine the need for a fire door in any particular location, determine proper placement of detectors, determine the functionality of fire detection systems, heat test fusible links, determine the combustibility of floor coverings extending through doorways, inspect accordion, folding, hoistway, elevator, chute, access, or dumbwaiter doors, inspect fire windows, or inspect fabric fire safety curtains.
IMO, activating the fire alarm system to test fire doors goes beyond (most) of our knowledge and expertise. A fire alarm company is most likely testing these devices when they conduct their inspections of the system. Verify it through documentation. If it isn’t documented, advise your client that they need to have this done by a qualified fire alarm testing company, or (even if it has previously been done and this is for a commercial real estate transaction) suggest that they have it done by an independent, qualified fire alarm testing company to verify the previous vendors findings. IMO, our role in regards to the functional testing of fire doors is essentially to verify the operation of the fire door(s) once released from the door holding mechanism, resetting the fire door(s) back into the ready state, and documenting the findings.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris you are probably right, the intent of the code is to verify the the hold opens release on activation of the alarm, but that would be covered under the fire alarm testing of the Building as you state.

The key word here would be like you mention, a documentation of those test should become part of the Fire Door Inspections.

Thanks, Marcel :slight_smile: