Yellow plug inside the vent stack on roof?

Does anyone know what this yellow plug is and why it would be inside the plumbing vent stack ?
DSCN2697 DSCN2699

Test plug,

5 Likes

Beat me to it! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why is it in there and what is it testing?

3 Likes

should it be removed ? YES I looked it up. Thanks guys, I learned something new today

3 Likes

Was the pipe still in use? If so, shouldn’t be blocked. Probably left behind after pressure test.

3 Likes

Cherne mechanical test plug.

3 Likes

Should have installed one of these instead, :crazy_face:

Courtesy and photo provided by @kleonard :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve found many over the years.

1 Like

The plumber leaves the test plug in until he gets paid when the homeowner flushes the toilet and the water does not drain he calls the plumber to fix it, the plumber receives his payment, and then he removes the plug, problem fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Occasionally I will see them when they have installed a future vent for a basement rough in.

2 Likes

That type of thing is what a mason around here did. Only he would place a piece of glass between the chimney blocks about 4 to 5 blocks up the chimney. He did this because he was not getting paid on time.

When he got the call, he told the owner to have cash on hand and he would come out to see what he could do. He got paid in full with cash, then reached up past the damper and throat, with a heavy glove and a fire poker and cleared out the glass, which he left for them to clean out of the fire box with their ashes.

5 Likes

Hahaha that’s great

Very old trick Larry

Tell us about when they got onto him so this mason placed the glass high enough so it was unreachable from the firebox, Steven. :thinking:

Sounds like the guy in WW2 who sent a Jeep home one part at a time.

THAT sounds like fun, Bob!..Not WW2 but the Jeep parts shipments. :grin:

All them old guys at the VFW have told that story. As it goes the Postmaster, Platoon Sergeant, Company Commander, etc. put it together till it was complete and then arrested the guy! I’ve heard some 'Nam versions too. Never gets old, just recycled!

Bummer!

My Dad was a machinist in a rolling machinist’s truck. He dismantled (including cutting the stocks in two pieces) 7 German 7mm mausers and sent them to his brothers, mother, close friends over here and sweated for a year before he felt he could put them back together and use them. I shot my first deer with one.

1 Like

No, this happened, probably more than once and was hilarious.