You are qualified .....WHEN .....????

Originally Posted By: Charles Hopkins
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The qualifications for HI are vastly different for South Carolina and
New Jersey.

When is a fellow QUALIFIED to be a home inspector in your opinions ?

Like Jeff Foxworthy ... You know you are a HI when....

Thanks

Charles

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Okay I’ll start.

Like Jeff Foxworthy ... You know you are a HI when....

you can't look at, be near or enter any building, structure or human appliance without thoroughly examining it first.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: kluce

When you can go into a house, do an inspection, report it properly and not think about that job again. That’s a good indication that you are sure of your skills.

This is not saying that you know everything. It's saying that you know enouph to do the job properly.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You are fully qualified to perform inspections when A$HI says you are, and not until then. eusa_naughty.gif

Blaine

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

You know you are qualified when you can say what my dear friend Igor says …“I don’t work weekends.”

Nick

Originally Posted By: hjavier

you know your qualified when you can say:

"It was working when I left"

...and they believe you.

--
Hendrie Javier
The House Mouse Inspection Services LLC
"Inspected as expected"

Originally Posted By: Charles Hopkins

javascript:emoticon(’icon_rolleyes.gif’)

javascript:emoticon(’icon_rolleyes.gif’)

Are you qualified when your state says you are ?

Charles

Ps. Thanks all

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Charles,

Your answer is maybe. If you have passed the required exams and whatever else you may have the knowledge. Can you use the knowledge you have practically.

There are many who are smart in construction and codes, but can not identify defects properly. There are also many who can identify defects but can't explain them properly. The goal is to have the knowledge, use it practically and properly in identifying issues with a home, and communicate it precisely in your report.

If you can do those three things you will be qualified, and better than many.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

You know you are qualified when you say “We don;t work with coditions like that placed on us. You’ll need to call someone else.”

Or, when you arrive at a house and the real estate agent and seller gives you a hassle, you can see it is nothing but trouble, and you say "Bye. I'll call my client and we'll have to work out another time to inspect it without being interrupted.", and then you drive off. Be prepared for them to call your client, and your client to call you, so don't drive off too far, just around the corner out of sight. Explain everything to your client, have him call the agent and straighten it out, then call you back and see if you will go back.

I did that yesterday. When I got back to the insepction, the seller was soooo niiice that it was almost unbearable. They provided me a set of plans, answered questions without me having to ask, it was wonderful. Of course, the house needed about $45,000 of major repairs (replace the roof, and while the roof is off, remove the roof sheathing, ceiling, insulation so you can see the blue sky above, replace the termite damaged trusses and rebuild everything from there (this was over the master bedroom and bathroom), then all the other stuff (35 year old a/c equipment, you name it). Oh, yeah, feeders from main disconnect on the exterior to the interior panel was SE cable with an uninsulated neutral - have to be replaced, and ... and ... and ...

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: kluce

You are qualified when god doesn’t strike you down when you inform the customer about the house. icon_eek.gif