You guys seen this before?

It looks like some sort of repair of the roof system??? Thanks.

It’s a hidden beam. They likley removed a bearing wall during a remodel. Recommend verifying permits, inspections and qualified engineer design, otherwise engineer review.

1 Like

We called them STRONGBACKS. It could be a repair or original to the house.

I agree w/Chuck…get documentation or engineer.

1 Like

VEEERY helpful. Thank you Chuck and Larry!

1 Like

We used the strongbacks in at least two ways:

  1. to get a flatter ceiling using less than quality, relatively straight, ceiling joists.

  2. to span a longer ceiling joist distance using smaller, than usual, dimensional ceiling joists.

I worked with my uncles on their farms quite a bit.
One uncle worked for Ma Bell and would bring home all sorts of threaded rod, nuts and washers and the like.

Thanks Larry. This is very helpful. Great background.

Adolfo J. Garcia, PHD, CPI
Trusted Inspection Services
Book on our website: