you have to see it.

Originally Posted By: rstephens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

These older people probably in their late 80’s had a new heating and cooling system put in 1987.

The Heating and Cooling guy’s Cut the main support beam completely in two, they ran the exhaust flue through the new opening. then they set a few cinder blocks under the beam for support. Funny thing was a section of the beam had been notched out for the old system all the had to do was extend the pipe 1ft.

Here are the pictures I promised.

Here is the main beam can you see what is wrong here?

![](upload://yAB57kpD28QCxNgFrBHBzOfWoU7.jpeg)

Here is where the old vent used to be.

Again this is a lare 2 story home built in the 50's

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Russell

at least those HVAC guy’ don’t have to remember all those pesky “which 1/3 can I cut rules” any thing can be fitted with a reciprocating saw icon_surprised.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

LOL. I agree Gerry I was shocked when I saw this. Though I have probably looked over things like this in the past before I started working on being a home inspector. The lady asked me today what she should do I told her she needed to talk to a structural engineer because I have no clue what needs to be done other than putting in a new beam and relocating the furnace vent.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Man and we pick on the plumbers.

Good Pics Russell

Paul

Thank you. Hey I even use my cheap vivicam digital camera takes good pics though. $39.00 at wal-mart.

There are probably more problems with this house but it is a bear to crawl around under this house you cannot get to the front half of the house due to the duct work from the furnace. I am going to start taking my camera with me everywhere so I can take pictures of all the problems I find in the crawl spaces.

I was in a house today I went in the basement and the hot water heater vent was not installed properly, and she had a vent free NG heater as well. I got light headed and I was only in there about 10 mins. I told her she needed to contact a plumber for the hot water heater. I find crap like this all the time it scares me, these are good people literally put in danger. The hot water heater is only about a year old and the guy did not put the flu pipe all the way on the fitting on top of the hot water heater.

One thing that bothers me you cannot see from the pictures but the only way to get to where the vent pipe is, is to remove the furnace or half the duct work.